Notices
New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

loud knocking noise from 1997 GMC 5.7L engine

Old April 13th, 2019, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default loud knocking noise from 1997 GMC 5.7L engine

I just replaced all lifters and new valve springs. Adjusted all lifters. No oil from push rods while manually turning oil pump to prime motor. I'm not sure what was going on with that. Anyway I finished putting everything back together and started motor. A loud knocking noise started immediately after starting motor. My guess is that the lifters are not getting oil but why that is I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dconrads View Post
I just replaced all lifters and new valve springs. Adjusted all lifters. No oil from push rods while manually turning oil pump to prime motor. I'm not sure what was going on with that. Anyway I finished putting everything back together and started motor. A loud knocking noise started immediately after starting motor. My guess is that the lifters are not getting oil but why that is I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
Why did you replace the lifters and valve springs? I have a 1998 K-1500 and haven't needed to change any of those. You must have had a reason which might lead to a
diagnosis and solution to your issue. Did you prime the lifters with oil before you installed them I hope? Some brands used to come pre-primed, but I don't think that is the case anymore.
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

The engine was making a lot of lifter noise and when I removed the intake manifold I found several lifter springs broken, so that's why I replaced them. The machine shop checked the heads and installed new springs. When I installed the new lifters I followed a you tube video saying not to prime them and made the adjustments accordingly. There's so much information out there that you don't know whose right and whose wrong. So today I'm going to try and figure it out.
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Another thing that I noticed was that the oil pressure was close to 80. Maybe something is plugged and the lifters are not getting any oil?
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:10 PM
I'm here for the party

watch one of those tv shows when they rebuild an engine they always soak the lifter in purple stuff a day before they install. the noise might be from the push rod/ rocker arms due to not soaking the lifters

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: