New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Need help with Carburetor selection

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2020, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Carburetor selection

So I have a 1988 Chevy 3500 dually extended cab (not 4 door) . It’s got a 468 bbc full on roller motor with a comp cams stock applications rv roller cam. (1000-5500 rpms). It has hi-perf heads with massive rectangle ports and dual valve springs. It sits in front of a rebuilt 4L80E with a stock converter. (I do not plan on towing with it just going fast and lots of highway driving) I recently used the carb formula to decide what size of carb I needed. Well I ended up purchasing the 4150 Holley classic double pumper 800cfm and now I’m having doubts because after the purchase, somewhere I heard that double pumpers might not be the most suitable for heavier vehicles but for some reason I thought it made sense due to the build of the big block? I don’t want to bog out or run too much air

Can someone help me and tell me if I should send this carb back to Holley and get the right one I need or is this one fine?
Old March 24th, 2020, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

please read the title in big red letters at the top of the page
Old March 24th, 2020, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I’m using my phone it doesn’t have any red letters at the top
Old March 24th, 2020, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

you sure?

Old January 26th, 2021, 4:09 AM
CF Beginner

If we are trying to find a carburetor for the first time while considering both vehicle and engine, we might have to take the process help first. The selection part is certainly a bit confusing for first-timers. Whether we own a company or it is for personal use, finding the best products can be of eternal help for us. If we know the trick, it would be even easier to arrange for the Holley carburetor parts catalog.

A high-quality product ensures to maximize the horsepower of your car effectively. We also have to consider other aspects such as the size of the carburetor that can critically affect your car. For example, a small carburetor won't be able to provide fuel and air to the engine properly. The points mentioned below might be able to help most of us in finding the best type of carburetor in the markets today.

First, find a perfect size

Before considering anything, if we wish to ensure that we have selected the perfect carburetor, sizing is an important aspect. When we end up selecting large carburetors for a certain combination, we end up giving the option to the end for more fuel and air. Thus, it has to be vital for us to choose the carburetor by considering the CFM ratings first.

We can select the size of the carburetor by seeing the level or quantity of air they are able to flow. Such ratings are expressed mathematically through cubic feet per minute. The CFM is not directly connected with the fuel. Rather, if we turn the fuel delivery carb circuits effectively, we can ensure to satisfy the engines. However, for that, we need to ensure that balanced and right amount of air is flowing through the engine all the time.

Consider focusing on the flange

Getting a carb is certainly important for us to consider while selecting the carburetor for the first time. A right-sized flange can ensure to make our engine smooth. For that, we need to make sure that the intake manifold can match with the flange appropriately. They might not bolt in any way without properly selecting the carburetor while focusing on the quality of the flange.

We have to make sure that it can have Bore specifically designed in several patterns. Some of these can include spread Bore and square bore. We can also consider getting high-quality adapters and dominators.

Checking out the choke

When the winter season starts, it becomes difficult for us to start the car. It happens because the engine remains cold throughout the day and it would need some warmth with the help of fuel. Once we turn the car on with the help of a little fuel, the entire engine turns hot. Such an aspect can only happen because of choke.

If the car is not starting, the choke is pulled open which allows us to intake more air into the engine. It gradually ensures to warm up the engine properly. Therefore, getting a carburetor with an appropriate choke is helpful in every way.

Consider observing barrels

A normal carb can have 4 different barrels that act together to make our ride smooth. These are divided as two for secondary and the remaining for primary. When the RPM is low, we would see that the only working barrels are primary ones. With an increase in RPM, the need for a supply of fuel and air enhances. Therefore, considering Barrels is appropriate for choosing a carburetor.
However, before buying a carburetor, you need to properly analyze it. I have found this carburetor review article more informative and useful. Hope it will help you to find out the best one for your Chevy.

Last edited by patrickjordan; December 20th, 2022 at 3:04 PM.
Old January 27th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Robs 468: Welcome to the forum. I suspect that the carb can be adjusted to suit your needs. Get the HP Books copy of Holley Carbs. Also you'll get more views over in the pickup section of the forum.
Old January 28th, 2021, 2:21 AM
CF Beginner

Seems like I should get the book too ..