New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

new and clicking

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2006, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new and clicking

Hello all! Let me first of all say that i'm so thankful that this site exists. Now with my problem, I hope someone can help me. I just bought my sister's '04 Tahoe, and as far back as I remember (since she first bought it), it has made this clicking type noise under the front part of the vehicle when she turns her wheel either way (only while driving). The clicking happens only sometimes, not all the time. She's taken it back to the dealer to get it checked out and they did not find anything wrong. She even took it to local mechanic, who took it for a drive to hear the sound and then checked the tahoe to see if he could find what is making the clicking sound and couldn't find it. He also said everything looked good and we probably won't know what the problem is until it actually breaks (not very encouraging). Anyway, aside from this, it runs great... no problems at all.
Now that the Tahoe is mine, i'm really out to find what this clicking might be. Has anyone else had this same thing happen to them, and if so...what the heck is it?

many thanks!
Old September 1st, 2006, 8:54 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: new and clicking

Is it a 4 wheel drive? These vehicles have a rack and pinion steering. These will make a clicking sound when they get worn. Also, If it's 4WD, The front drive setup ( IE: Front Wheel Drive ) may have a CV Joint that is going bad. I'm not sure if the 4x4's have a CV
( Constant Velocity ) joint or not but You might look at that.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
CF Senior Member

welcome to the forum.
Old September 15th, 2006, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

could be one of three issues..
front body mount, upper shock mount (both have new part numbers)
or a rattle coming from the parking brake cable mis-routed, where it goes thru the floor board

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM
CF Active Member

I agree with Uncle Bill. It sounds like it might be CV click. Does it coincide with your speed as it varies?
Old September 20th, 2006, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm taking all your advise into consideration. I'm going on a small trip soon and I want to take it to a mechanic first before I go. My tahoe isn't a 4 wheel drive (i'm not sure if that makes a difference or not in terms of it having a CV Joint). It makes same 2 clicks wether i'm driving and making a turn or in one spot and i just turn the wheel back and forth.
I've actually gotten use to the clicking. Sometimes I don't even hear it, but who ever i'm driving with will ask "what's that cracking noise?".
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
CF Active Member

Tracy, Now that We know it's not 4x4, it doesn't have front CV joints. I had a Car ( don't remember what kind ) making a clicking noise like that and it turned out to be a bad Shock Absorber bushing. It still may have to do with the rack and pinion steering though.