New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New here - big fan of old crew cabs

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2007, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here - big fan of old crew cabs

Hello,

I'm somewhat new here and I'm 19. Right now I am in college, and at the same time trying to save up for an old Chevrolet pickup truck. I do not own a Chevrolet at the moment, but I do intend on owning one someday in the near future. I have always been obsessed with old-style crew cab pickup trucks. I have absolutely no idea why, there is just something about the full size 1960's - 1980's Chevrolet crew cab pickup trucks that makes them like no other. I'll be honest, I would never buy a 1988 or later Chevrolet or GMC pickup truck. They just don't have the same "awe" in them as the old style pickup trucks do.

Anyway, I hope I don't sound too weird because of my "crew cab obsession". I just think the old crew cab pickups are the neatest things around. See you around, wish me luck on finding one someday.
Old August 29th, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: New here - big fan of old crew cabs

Good Luck on finding an older crew cab. Are they rare or something? I'm not big into pickups so....
Old August 29th, 2007, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Sarah, thank you for the wishes. I don't have any manufactured quanity numbers to back me up, but I do think that any older 1 ton crew cab is probably pretty rare. There are more regular and extended cabs on the roads than crew cabs (as far as older trucks go.) Today's "crew cab trucks" though are more like little 4-door SUVs with a little short box in the back. The farther you go back in time, the rarer crew cabs are. I believe they first made them in the 1940's, but they started to really catch on in the 1960's. There are very few crew cabs (of all brands) left from the early 1970's and before, but there's still an okay market for late 70's and beyond.

Unfortunately I live in the Midwest, and they salt the roads here. So the trucks and cars we have here don't last a long time, and if they're rust-free here they're also more expensive. Anyway, ideally would be something like this (found it via Google):

Of course it wouldn't be a daily driver (especially with gas prices), but I'd like to get one I could clean up and maybe someday bring to shows.

Anyway, eventually I'll get one of those beasts. Not sure when, but hopefully within a couple of years at the most. I have no idea why I like them so much, but I really do feel that the 1980's crew cab pickups were the last "real trucks" to be made. I'm sure people would love to argue with me there though.

Old August 29th, 2007, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

I'm with you on not liking the shorter bed crew cabs they have today. I mean the whole point in having a pickup is so you can pickup stuff like lumber or other sorts of large things so.....a short bed is rediculous IMO.
Old August 29th, 2007, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

You have no idea how many people I've seen trying to fit the stupidest things in their shortbox 'trucks'. That's pretty much all I do at work is load things into folks' vehicles (which for the record, is why I'm in college for construction so I don't have to do this low-standard retail stuff the rest of my life.) I remember once these people wanted lumber in the back of their little 'truck thing', I think it was a new Suburu of some sort. Anyhow, the box on the thing was 3' in length, seriously. I always thought regular shortbox pickups (6.5 feet) were bad enough (no offence to anyone here), but this stupid Subaru thing was 3' and no more/no less in length. I mean, I could see how it would be decent for maybe going on a vacation or something. But some of these people need to wake up. Another thing I see very often at the store I work at, is people that don't tie/strap/bungee or otherwise secure their loads in the back of their pickup beds. Even though we have 2000 feet of free twine they can use, I'd say over 1/3 the people that load things up don't bother to tie their things down and just assume that it will stay in the back perfectly. Even though I'm a pretty nice person, whenever I see someone with a truck pulled to the side of the road, picking up things that flew out the back of their box I laugh at them. Ignorant people need to learn the hard way, I wish they'd realise that there have been many accidents and fatalities because of non-secured loads.

Anyway, if you ask me a standard full size pickup is still the way to go; unless it's a show truck or a mudder or something. I will be the last person on earth to join the shortbox fad.
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to ChevroletForum.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum!!