S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

s10 crew cabs

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2008, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default s10 crew cabs

Does anyone any info on the zr5 and regular crew cab versions of the s10. I'm looking for differences between the two models, (towing capabilities,ground clearance, tire size, wheel base, reliability, etc). I'm looking for a used truck for work (traveling) as well for using at camp, towing trailer for firewood/four-wheeler, and riding around in the woods. I was just curious if the zr5 would be better suited for what I'm looking to use it for, or would the regular crew cab meet my needs w/out any problems. Any info, or experience with either of these models would be helpful. Thanks.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: s10 crew cabs

It depends on what you will be using it more for off roading into camp or on road for work. If more on road my dad had a regular 4x4 and it was great, and went thru everything - snow mud etc... But if your gonna be climbing over trees and rocks to go deep into the woods then the z would be the one to go with plus that truck looks awesome!!!! Only downfall is it is a little higher so it might not be as good to work out of so overall the regular would be my choice for all around use.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To tell you the truth, for what your looking to do with it, you should pick up a toyota truck. But an older toyota like late 80's to early 90's four cylindar 4runner, because they get great gas mileage, they last forever, and you can beat the crap out of them and they won't die. If you are ahard core Chevy fan like the rest of us, I would go for the ZR5 just because it's an all around better truck that the stock S10.
Old March 18th, 2008, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies. I am an electrician by trade and frequently have to travel out of town for work, and only have to haul hand tools and luggage, so the truck won't be used to haul building materials or any thing like that. And as far as the camp use most of the roads are fairly good seasonal roads. But there are always the occasional deep ruts and washouts along the way. I don't plan on any hardcore offroading or anything like that, I'm just looking for something that would carry four adults up front and a couple of chainsaws and a cooler of beer in the back and still be able to pull a trailer load of firewood. My first choice was the zr5, but was just curious how the stock s10 would work in that capacity. I had a 2001 zr2 and just loved that truck in the woods, but I ended up trading it in for a full size, and even though I really like the new truck, I still wish that I had the zr2[sm=bangbang.gif]. I would get another one in a second but there is usually four of us that end up going up to camp on the weekends and the zr2 is just enough for two people, so the quad cab mid size is what I'm looking at right now. Again, thanks for the info.[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old March 18th, 2008, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up one of these
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

That's a good looking truck. They are a little hard to fing locally, but there are a few.