New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New member to the forum! (Long in-depth story on my project)

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2013, 2:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member to the forum! (Long in-depth story on my project)

Hello, let me start off by saying my name is Nicholas and I am an all around Chevrolet lover. I have always loved Chevy trucks (and muscle cars) since I was just a little kid. Back three and a half years ago on my 15th birthday I finally got to start off on a project I have been wanting to start for a while, fixing up a old Chevy or GMC truck. On my birthday I got a 1991 GMC Suburban R1500, pretty much loaded with every feature you could imagine except for rear heat and 4WD. Nonetheless, I loved it. The engine was in VERY rough condition having a rough past and almost 200,000 miles, and of course it has the small block 350 V8. It miss fired on two cylinders and one was completely dead, so it needed quite a bit of TLC. The interior is fairly decent as well as the rest of the drive-train and the frame is in immaculate condition. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor to start everything off and shortly after that, bypassed the EGR valve. That improved the running a lot. Shortly after that I took out the cat, put some pipe in its place and also but a Thrush glass pack in place of the old muffler, it sounded great. Had a bit of an exhaust leak though. I drove it like this for a good 6 months or so but just didn't like how sluggish and worn out the engine was. So after doing some summer work on BLM (I was on the camp crew) I bought an engine overhaul kit off of ebay with a new set of pistons, stage 2 high performance cam shaft, rings, bearings, double roller timing chain kit, high volume oil pump, gasket kit, etc. The engine now runs stronger than I ever thought it would (well, I actually rebuilt another 350 I had lying around then swapped them) I ran it like that with exhaust manifolds and stock ignition system for a while until my 18th birthday came along and I got a true dual header back exhaust system with 2.25" exhaust tubing, Flowtech performance exhaust headers, and two Thrush Turbo muffler. It now sounds great and it improved my performance a lot, but eventually I am going to get a proper system installed with probably Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. As for under the hood, I am going to get rid of that TBI (Throttle Body Injection) and probably replace it with a Summit Racing 600 CFM 4 barrel carburetor with electronic choke, along with a nice intake of course as well as some nice high performance cylinder headers. To top everything under the hood, I would like to get nice trim pieces and possibly do a procharger setup. As for the rest of it, I will most likely do a Metallic Sapphire blue paintjob and clear coat finish, rebuild the suspension and front steering, rebuild the transmission to handle the new engine well, do some interior work, put on a chrome billet grille, get slightly bigger tires and possibly new rims, refresh the rear end (differential, axles, etc.) and much more. I will most likely post some pictures here in the next few days and update all of you as it progresses. Thanks for reading!
Old December 27th, 2013, 6:46 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, 91GMCSuburban! Make sure to browse the forum for more info about your car and feel free to post any specific questions you have about your vehicle in the tech sections.