New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

newb looking for some pointers

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2007, 1:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb looking for some pointers

Hey all, my name is Chris and I'm looking at getting an old Chevy S-10 for a DD. The one I'm looking at right now is a 1988 regular cab & bed, 4.3L, auto and 4wd. I'm going to look at it on thursday, and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on things to look for mechanically when I give it a once over? Are they notorious leakers, and if so, where about on the block/undercarage should I keep an eye out for? Any major problems with this particular year or generation of the truck? I'm just trying to do my homework before I go and pick up anything.

Also, since it's a 4x4, I was considering doing a small lift (2-3" would be about it for now) and jumping a couple tire sizes. I'm not looking to go wild here, but it could very well see some time in the fields and woods once deer season rolls around. Are there any particular brands I should look for, or any that I should avoid? I'm a car guy, and although I've owned a truck in the past (1990 Dakota longbed), I left it completely stock and didn't start tinkering till I got my first car, and I'm currently driving a turbo'd Mitsubishi that can't handle snow or ice since the frame sits about 4" off the ground[].

So there's my situation in a nutshell, any advice would be greatly appriciated, and hopefully I'll soon have reason to frequent the forum.
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: newb looking for some pointers

Welcome to Chevroletforum.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 2:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: newb looking for some pointers

welcome!