New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Poor Man Rebuild Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2023, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Man Rebuild Cam Question

Hello,

I'm hoping this will find the right forum pathway being it's my first post on here. My question is, can someone help me get the camshaft specs for stock 1989 C1500 Silverado 4.3 and 1991 S15 Utility 4dr Blazer? I'm doing a poor man's rebuilding with these two motors being the donor motors. The 1991 4.3 S15 motor is the one I'm using for the rebuild. I would like to know which motor had the better camshaft grind. My first thought would be the truck motor would be the better of the two camshafts to reuse, but I know there were different upgrades of the camshafts through those years. This is my first time to rebuild a 4.3 and so far I'm pretty impressed with condition of the cylinders and entire engine condition for how many miles I'd have to think are on the motors. I had bought the old truck for something cheap to drive, and has turned into a total rebuild project. I've completely gone through the suspension, steering, brakes, fuel, and exhaust. The 1989 4.3 engine had right at 149,000 miles and a weird rough idle dead spot. I'm guessing one of the previous owners had put a bottle of head gasket repair in and didn't tell me.... After thorough flushing it appears I removed the 'fix'....via a blown head gasket. I was a little erked when the exhaust started coming out like a mosquito fogger as you might expect. Nothing left to do but rebuild another motor and get another 100,000 miles out of it.
​​​​It'll be nice to have a motor with fresh rings and bearings. The heads look to be in excellent shape. I'm going to lap the valves and put new valve seals on. I have to think the camshafts are different or upgraded. If anyone could help line me out on which camshaft is the preferred camshaft moving forward I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Helicoil Champ; December 19th, 2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old December 19th, 2023, 3:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

welcome to the forum.
Please read the bright red instructions at the top of your screen. Thanks.
Old December 20th, 2023, 8:26 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Probably posting in the Technical section of the forum or the S10 section to find someone that might be able to answer your question. Truck cams typically have a more torquey grind than a car cam would.