New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Rattling noise coming from transmission

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2019, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling noise coming from transmission

I have a 2001 silverado HD with 4L80E tranny. When I start my truck I have a loud rattling noise coming from my tranny. I thought the noise was a heat shield or something basic loose. It shifts fine just rattles loud as hell. Has anybody else experienced anything like this. Could it be the filter maybe fell off???

Old November 21st, 2019, 3:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy Green
I have a 2001 silverado HD with 4L80E tranny. When I start my truck I have a loud rattling noise coming from my tranny. I thought the noise was a heat shield or something basic loose. It shifts fine just rattles loud as hell. Has anybody else experienced anything like this. Could it be the filter maybe fell off???
No the filter is mostly plastic with perhaps some aluminum., if it fell out it would destroy your tranny but the pan would not allow it to do that and when it was changed there was a new tube o-ring the went up in the tyranny.. The rattling is almost certain to be coming from elsewhere.
Old November 21st, 2019, 3:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
No the filter is mostly plastic with perhaps some aluminum., if it fell out it would destroy your tranny but the pan would not allow it to do that and when it was changed there was a new tube o-ring the went up in the tyranny.. The rattling is almost certain to be coming from elsewhere.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I hope you are right about this. I'm going to inspect it a lot closer. I'll let you know
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (November 21st, 2019)