New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Restoring a blue 1991 Chevy Lumina 3.1L

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2013, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring a blue 1991 Chevy Lumina 3.1L

Hello all,

I have begun a project which I consider to be a labor of love, I am restoring a blue 1991 Chevy Lumina 3.1L. Now most of you here, some who might own a Lumina might ask me why I am doing this, so here is my answer.

My girlfriend Kim was driving this car on August 13th of last year when she and I met, and she and I have taken many rides in this car and while she herself would have liked to be rid of it I had to beg her to leave it with me so I could bring it back to its former showroom glory.

When I met her she was driving this car, when I rode with her in this car I would hold her hand as she drove, I fell even deeper in love with her in this car, this car is what brought her to me so we could meet in person, so to repay that debt to the Lumina, I owe it more than to just see it towed away for scrap, I must save it's life for hanging on as long as it has to bring Kim and I together.

It brought me Kim so I in turn want to bring it new life and make the Lumina as good as it was when it left the assembly line at the GM plant in Neptune NJ, can anyone here assist me in this project?
Old January 26th, 2013, 6:13 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for joining, richg1972! Glad to have you as a part of our community
Old January 27th, 2013, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nj85z28
Thanks for joining, richg1972! Glad to have you as a part of our community
nj85z28,

The parts I would like to start with for Kim's 1991 Lumina are the grille insert with the gold chevrolet insignia (preferably in the same blue as the car) and the front bumper (also seeking in the same blue as the car), after those are on I want to find a set of hubcaps for it that match what it came from the factory with. Then its on to find a vial or even an aerosol can of touch up paint for the car to get rid of the scratches from it having been keyed, then removing the surface rust and painting over those areas as well so I can give the car a showroom appearance again, anyone have any ideas??

Last edited by richg1972; January 30th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

I know I erred in posting the word help in here as this is not a place for help threads but some of this came out in my story while I was thinking about it, the reason I posted about the bumper and grille is on the lumina's grille the bottom slat if you want to call it that snapped off on the one side making the grille look like it has a hillbilly grin, and as for the front bumper, one side is cracked to the point that the side marker light won't even sit right and the impact bumper directly behind it is poking through on one side

Last edited by richg1972; January 30th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Does anyone here have any leads on or do they have a used bumper and grille from a 1991 to 1993 chevy lumina 3.1L sedan? If so it would help me out greatly on my project. I have already located and bought a new rigght rear tail light lens, it need not matter what color the grille and front bumper cover are as I am just going to primer them and repaint the factory sapphire blue anyway so can anyone assist me with this? I do not have a whole lot of money to play with and am trying to get this done as cheaply as possible