New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

SBC timing chain cover differences

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2019, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC timing chain cover differences

Just bought a truck with a “good” engine that ended up locking up due to lack of oil from the oil pump they installed incorrectly. I went through and rebuilt the block and tried to reuse what I could. It’s a first gen 350 goodwrench engine and originally had the timing tab on the timing chain cover at 12 o’clock but the one I ended up reusing is at 2 o’clock. The engine is timed by ear but I would like to be able to throw a timing light on it and set the timing a little better. I don’t want to have to pull all the accessories off to replace the timing chain cover as the engine is already in the truck and all buttoned up. So my question is what is the degree difference between the timing chain cover with the tab at 12 o’clock and the one at 2?

Last edited by Damon3500; February 16th, 2019 at 9:32 PM.
Old February 21st, 2019, 1:21 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You need to post in the general Tech section of the Forum as this is the new member area. You'll get more views over there.
Old February 21st, 2019, 2:05 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

why not find TDC and see if/where it lines up on the timing marks and go from there?