New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Soon to be S10 owner

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be S10 owner

So, here soon I'll be trading a '79 Oldsmobile Holiday 88 I have for a '83 Chevy S10, other guy is getting the better deal but I only have $550 in the car, so I'm coming out pretty well myself.

Anyway, I'm just a hobbyist mechanic, I enjoy repairing and building things, and I plan to build up this S10 with a crate 350. Either the GM Performance sticker valve cover variant rated for 195-260 depending on whom you ask, or the 290 horse version. Both cost about the same, I don't want to rebuild a motor when I can get a new one for $1,500-2,000. I may source a used engine if mileage and the fact that it runs can be proven.

I don't intend to build a slammed, fire breathing monster, mostly just a rat rod. I don't have pictures of the truck, but it's a 1983 Chevrolet S10 Tahoe, black cab, red interior, white hood, white and blue pass fender, red bed / tail gate. Only rust on it is the lower drivers side cab corner, which is pretty standard. I'll be keeping it a V6 for about a year to year and a half while I source what I need, including the engine. I refuse to start a project without what I need. It has a steering gear from a Trans Am if I remember right, and a rebuilt transmission from one as well. I do plan to put 17's under it with 235/45R17's, and I'm gonna do some chassis work to make it hopefully handle decent.

I will be getting the truck some time in July, it's already mine, but we need to do a few things to it and the Oldsmobile before we move them. I will have pictures this weekend, meant to take some last weekend but I was too busy ducking down while operating the choke trying to get the ole' 2.8 started.

So that's me in a nutshell, I'm Ben, I currently drive a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88, spray painted, louder than it should be, and somewhat more Chevy than Olds (Factory chevy 350 was swapped for a GM Goodwrench crate back in '93), and soon I'll be sputtering around in an anemic V6 S10 (Until such a time as said S10 becomes what it was always meant to be).
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to visit the forum sections dealing with your rides.
Old June 28th, 2015, 6:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome & Best Wishes on your new Buy !