New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

ZZ4 350

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2006, 11:38 AM
RBK
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZZ4 350

I have a ZZ4 350 in a sandrail that I am building...I recently put an ACCEL 4 barrel TBI system on it w/ a Haltech control...For some reason I am getting gas in my crankcase...I checked the compression and everything was good...is the gas flowing by the rings?
Could the timing be off? The car is running real fat right now because the plugs look like charcoal...I'm hoping that the computer needs to be adjusted and that I didn't do any damage to the motor...Ialso need some advice on a PCV valve for this motor...
Old November 29th, 2006, 5:09 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: ZZ4 350

As an engine runs, the crankcase (containing the crankshaft and other parts) begins to collect combustion chamber gases which leak past the rings surrounding pistons and sealing them the to the cylinder walls. These combustion gases are sometimes referred to as "blow by" because the combustion pressure "blows" them "by" the pistons. These gases contain compounds harmful to an engine, particularly hydrocarbons, which are just unburned fuel, as well as carbon dioxide. It also contains a significant amount of water vapor. If allowed to remain in the crankcase, or become too concentrated, the harmful compounds begin to condense out of the air within the crankcase and form corrosive acids and sludge on the engine's interior surfaces. This can harm the engine as it tends to clog small inner passages, causing overheating, poor lubrication, and high emissions levels. To keep the crankcase air as clean as possible, some sort of ventilation system must be present.

the pcv valve is needed to prevent the build up of these gases..
Old November 29th, 2006, 6:33 PM
RBK
CF Beginner

Default RE: ZZ4 350

What about the fuel in the crankcase? Could it be running so rich that it is running past the rings? Should I replace my intake manifold?