Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

First nova

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2016, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First nova

So my son bought his first car this summer. A 1973 nova. Solid car. Has some work done to the 350 engine. Supposedly the trans was done about 300 miles ago. Shifted real nice when we test drove it both times. Still shifts hard going from 1st to 2nd but will not shift into drive unless he puts it in neutral and back into drive. If anyone has any ideas please help. He also eventually wants the car to be more drivable for distances so i was thinking of taking out the TH350 3 speed trans and putting in something with an overdrive. Something reliable and strong for racing but not crazy expensive. Any ideas would be apprecuated. Thank you
Old October 26th, 2016, 6:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If you can the 350, go with a 400
Old May 28th, 2017, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Bow Tie out in California build my 2004R stage 3 trans to replace the turbo 350 that was in my 62 Nova. The 2004R and Turbo 350 are about the same size, and they make a beautiful transmission mount just for the swap so you don't have to drill any holes or cut anything. On my 62 Nova the trans tunnel would need to be enlarged and I saw some of that on other cars where the tunnel was beat nearly to death so the Turbo 400 would fit. Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

If your going to be under 450 horsepower you wont need the stage three. This transmission made a HUGE all around improvement in my Nova Gasser replacing the Turbo 350. The 2004R is a 4 speed with a electrical lock up converter. My car has well over 700 horses and launches with the wheels in the air even on the street at times. I drive it on the street all the time and the highway too and you would not believe how it transforms your car. All automatics slip a little under power and are supposed to, but the 2004R locks up in a 1:1 ratio in 4th gear basically offering you over drive. I run 4.30 gears behind a Dart 434 stroker hooked to a 2004R, and run 2,500 rpm @ 70 mph on 15 inch tires.

And I have a little micro switch on my break pedal next to the brake light switch, in 4th gear on the highway I can tap my brake pedal just barely and un lock the converter. Instantly the rpms go up 600, but your still in 4th gear, its helpful passing if you want to get around something quick, but you don't want to risk breaking traction down shifting. And for me at least, the gear ratios are nice and close in the first two gears and wind perfectly to red line in the quarter in 3rd. And that's all the quarter mile needs.