Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

Got an early 60’s Powerglide with reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2021, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an early 60’s Powerglide with reverse problem

I have an early 60s powerglide transmission that locks in park, works in reverse, but when I put it in neutral, drive, or low, it stays in reverse? I even attempted to remove the shifting linkage and do it by hand with the car raised and it still does the same.
obviously I am thinking it is internal, but what exactly internal could it be? If anyone has any expertise in this area I would appreciate the help. Hopefully I can do this fix “in vehicle”.
Old March 20th, 2021, 12:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaahoos
I have an early 60s powerglide transmission that locks in park, works in reverse, but when I put it in neutral, drive, or low, it stays in reverse? I even attempted to remove the shifting linkage and do it by hand with the car raised and it still does the same.
obviously I am thinking it is internal, but what exactly internal could it be? If anyone has any expertise in this area I would appreciate the help. Hopefully I can do this fix “in vehicle”.
Is park, and reverse next to each other? I had a 57 Bel Air that reverse was all the way down. If it is only going park, or reverse, pull the pan, and check the internal linkage. Is the shifter actually moving into drive?