Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

High compression 350 engine

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2011, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High compression 350 engine

I have a stock 74 nova police car 350 engine witch i am thinking of running those speed pro forged dome top pistons in it and that measures out as 11.5:1 with 75 cc heads. How would the stock bottom do with this and will it work? Can anyone please help me with this?

Regards Kjartan.
Old October 16th, 2011, 9:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you plan on running 11:1 compression, plan on beefing up the bottom end. it may hold just fine, but if you're running compression that high obviously its being raced. 4 bolt main block, maybe new crank, BALANCING, this is important
Old October 16th, 2011, 5:47 PM
Banned

Here is how I am going to help you.To buy only one pc of a big picture build is a kin to going back yrs ago of trial and error.That gets expensive is a hurry.

Compression is certainly a corner stone of what else you need to get.

Remember the line of if you give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish??.

I highly recommend you go on line and buy David Vizard's book on how to build hp for the SBC's engines.Read it cover to cover.Seriously.I mean that.

If after that you have questions,post here and we will support you.

You will find that will be one of the most important tools in your tool box.
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
if you plan on running 11:1 compression, plan on beefing up the bottom end. it may hold just fine, but if you're running compression that high obviously its being raced. 4 bolt main block, maybe new crank, BALANCING, this is important
I am not shure if that is my compression. I read somewhere that those dome top pistons is a -11cc on the heads (they actually where 75cc). Thats where i got that idea. I had those pistons just laying around and so did the 350 so i thougth about swapping my 305 in the monte carlo ss with a street/stip 350.
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by T.Neff
Here is how I am going to help you.To buy only one pc of a big picture build is a kin to going back yrs ago of trial and error.That gets expensive is a hurry.

Compression is certainly a corner stone of what else you need to get.

Remember the line of if you give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish??.

I highly recommend you go on line and buy David Vizard's book on how to build hp for the SBC's engines.Read it cover to cover.Seriously.I mean that.

If after that you have questions,post here and we will support you.

You will find that will be one of the most important tools in your tool box.
I think i have to learn to fish but my uncle have done this a thousand times, so i think i'll do the hard watching and learing at moast.
Old October 18th, 2011, 1:17 PM
Banned

That book is a good ref for the uncle too.Well what you do??.Try to tell people from all too many yrs of doing this and if they decide it is too much trouble to take the time...................................LOL.
Old October 18th, 2011, 2:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd say so, 11.5-1 is a monster
Old October 18th, 2011, 4:30 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

I'll bet money he doesn't know how to figure C/R's and from what he posted,isn't willing to learn.
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:08 AM
CF Beginner

I get 10.5 in compression.
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kjape
I am not shure if that is my compression. I read somewhere that those dome top pistons is a -11cc on the heads (they actually where 75cc). Thats where i got that idea. I had those pistons just laying around and so did the 350 so i thougth about swapping my 305 in the monte carlo ss with a street/stip 350.

Dome pistons are not - numbers they are plus.A - would be a inverted dome.BTW-those smog junk heads are 76 CC.They do not flow worth anything.The reason and logic in - or + numbers is directly related to SCR's._ takes away from that and + adds to it.Deck height is also a factor needed to know to figure C/R as well as the head gasket.

I am not guessing here.Not a internet hero.If you want help,your going to have to learn to swallow some of that ego bud.

Quick Reply: High compression 350 engine