02 Monte Carlo overheating? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

02 Monte Carlo overheating?

CF Beginner

December 26th, 2016, 4:11 AM   #1  
02 Monte Carlo overheating?

When I'm driving my car with the heat on(i work graveyard shift, so it's cold out), everything will be fine, until my RPM's drop below 1,500. Once that happens, the heat slowly goes away(getting colder and colder) and the temp needle on my temp gauge(Engine temp?) starts to go higher and higher. Once I start going above 1,500 RPM's(whether revving the engine, or accelerating/driving at higher speeds)the heat returns from the vents, and the needle goes down. Furthermore, once I get to work in the morning, after driving about half an hour(mostly freeway at 60mph), I can pop my hood, and my radiator cap is cold as can be. I have replaced the Thermostat already, no real change. I didn't bleed the coolant, but have burped it once(this resolved the issue for about a week). The car does the same thing at stop signs/red lights/freeway traffic overheating when RPM's aren't up. Temp Sensor? I really don't think it's the thermostat, as I replaced it, and have done so before(and thank you for putting it in the worse possible place).

Super Moderator

Houston TX. USA

December 27th, 2016, 2:50 PM   #2  
You may still have air captured in the system, but, it sure sounds like you have a bad Water Pump.

Try this.....
When the engine is cold, remove the Radiator Cap.
You may have to move some of the Coolant over to your Reservoir.
Crank Engine and allow to run with the Heaters on.
Feel of the upper Water Hose as you watch to see if there is any motion/rippling in the Coolant in the Radiator, as the engine comes up to operating temperature.

As the engine comes up to and passes 185. if you don't see motion, then rev or have someone ref the engine up, then there should be a fair amount of motion of the coolant.
If this is what you see, then it is the Water Pump.

Keep in mind with a vehicle this old, you should go through/replace/flush the system, Rad Cap, Hoses, new fresh Coolant, and possibly have the Radiator Cleaned.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 27th, 2016 at 2:56 PM.

CF Addict

December 27th, 2016, 3:15 PM   #3  
I agree with water pump, or broken stator behind the pump impeller since it is rpm related.

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors
Sponsors

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: