Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1950 Chevrolet 2 Door coupe

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1950 Chevrolet 2 Door coupe

Hi, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to fit a 454 big block engine in a 1950 2 door coupe. If not, what is the largest size engine possible to squeeze into that baby?

~Thanks
Old September 21st, 2007, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 1950 Chevrolet 2 Door coupe

Go to a parts store and see if they sell headers to fit a 454 in a 50 chevy coupe. If they do then it must be able to be made to fit.
You might have to adjust the drive shaft length and make your own mounts and or cut out the inner fender wells and make sure the distributor has clearance but it should work.
But then I once made a 472 caddy motor fit in a 1977 ford 3/4 ton 4x4 and still had 4 wheel drive when I got done. Anything can be done with the right ammount of information and attitude.
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 1950 Chevrolet 2 Door coupe

The '50 Coupe had a six cyl., the mounts were on the front of the block and on the bell housing. In '55, the new 265 V-8 mounted the same way. All you have to do is reposition the front mounts to the other holes that are already in the front cross member. I believe you'll find that the 454 is too long to use the front mount set up, but then again, you may be able to use the 6 cyl. front mounting holes. If not,you may have to install new mounts that come in from the side, or modify the front mounts to work. As far as side to side room, I don't see any probs there. I also don't see any prob with the dist. clearance. If you use the original bell housing, you will get proper placement of the engine, front to back.I'm assuming that the coupe has a 3 on the tree.
That's the best I can remember, it's been a few years since I did work on the '50's era Chevys.
You can of course, get aftermarket mounts and a crossmemeber for the tranny. Just gotta watch your front to rear measurements in placement of the engine.
Old February 20th, 2015, 5:52 PM
Tho
CF Beginner

Yes it will fit but unless you are prepared to do a lot of other upgrades you should forget about it. Small block Chevy engines fit more easily and don't require as many other changes to be made. The fact that you're asking this question makes me wonder if you know what all is required for this swap. The front end will work technically speaking but it will not be safe. You need springs appropriate for the engine and a serious upgrade in brakes. I'm assuming you already know that you'll have to replace the transmission, driveshaft and rear end.