Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1950 chevy styleline deluxe engine noise

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2015, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1950 chevy styleline deluxe engine noise

i've only had this car for about 6 weeks, so i don't know the history. the engine is the 216 with the 3 speed on the column. the odometer says 71,000 miles. the car ran great when i bought it. no engine noise, no clutch noise nothing. the one thing odd was the remote oil filter was not in use, and when i looked inside it looked like it hadn't been used in years. the reason i say for it was in use for years was the condition on the inside of the oil canister it's self. the filter that was was in there was rusted and completely shot. i bead blasted the inside of the canister to remove the rust and a few pin hole developed in the process. i welded these up painted and reinstalled the canister with a new filter. all seemed fine for a couple weeks then i noticed a noise coming from what sounds like the engine at least i think its coming from the engine. i don't believe the oil filter had anything to do with it , but i'm not sure. the noise is not a knock or a rap it's more of a whirl sound that increases with engine rpm. the engine runs fine no miss, no smoke, nothing. i was thinking it could be throw out bearing, but i'm not sure. i'm afraid to drive or even start the car now. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 14th, 2015, 9:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum.

The whirling noise is really hard to diagnose verbally. You might adjust the Throwout well back, where it isn't touching anything and crank up to see if that's really it. Then if not, remove the Fan Belt, crank up, and see if the Generator or Water Pump might be the source.
Given your description of the Oil Filter Case, it doesn't sound like you're getting any flow through it at all. Disconnect one side, crank up, and hold a jar at the outlet, and see how much volume you're getting.

I happen to have owned some vintage vehicles as you have, but, yield to some guys which are really knowledgeable about those. I don't usually refer one to another forum, but this one is really good for the classic Chevy's.
Forum Index - ChevyTalk - FREE Restoration and Repair Help for your Chevrolet