Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1959 Chevy Apache Rebuild Quesitons

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2018, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1959 Chevy Apache Rebuild Quesitons

Hey y'all! My names John and I got a 1959 Chevy 3600 Apache that's about to be restored. Pops and I have decided on a few things: we want to keep the truck stock for the most part (so no changing the front suspension), the engine and transmission are going to be changed to a sbc 350, and since the truck was a manual in the past its only fitting that a manual follows the 350. My pops wants to use the truck to tow a small trailer when we go hunting otherwise, it's going to be a daily driver.

My questions are as follows:
What manual transmission will hold up to a mild build 350 chevy? Its gonna be a 70's engine with a taller cam, ported heads, and headers, but otherwise stock.

This year did not come with power steering, that being said what aftermarket power steering gear box kit would come complete with the pump, hoses, gearbox, and bracket specifically for a 350 engine swap? If I need to fabricate the power steering pump mounting bracket I don't mind.

We love the old stance of the truck and wanted to keep it as clean, tall, but make it mean.

Any help would be appreciated.