Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1984 Chevy Celeb. Problems with the front brake pads wearing out too soon.

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2016, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Chevy Celeb. Problems with the front brake pads wearing out too soon.

Hello all, I have a problem with my front brake pads wearing out to quickly. About 4 weeks ago I installed new rotors with new pads and they have maybe 1/16" left only on the outer pad drivers side and passengers side ??? What gives here???
I tested and cleaned the calipers and they seem to be working just fine but still the pads wear down so quickly that the new rotors are starting to get scratches on them... HELLLLLPPPPP !!! Tks... Bob
Old June 20th, 2016, 8:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

usually on floating calipers if the outside pad is worn, the caliper pins are not sliding properly. did you remove the bushing and clean and lube it.

if the inside and outside are worn the piston is seized or the rear brakes are not working.
Old May 29th, 2017, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to go along with the rear brakes aren't working
Old May 29th, 2017, 1:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

maybe a test drive and measuring rotor temp is in order...if the front rotors and rear drums are excessively hot...maybe the master cylinder is not fully releasing the brakes. if this was the case, the brake pedal would have no freeplay, feel hard, you would smell burning pads and feel like the car was dragging/less power.