Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1995 silverado 5.7 tbi NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2014, 3:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 silverado 5.7 tbi NIGHTMARE

I have a 1995 k-1500, 5.7 tbi with almost 300,000 miles on it. About a year ago on the highway especially in O.D with heavy throttle I would get a hard ticking ping and completely lose power and have to get out of the throttle to regain power to recover. I started with the simple things.... New Plugs, Wires, and this seemed to help. Eventually I replaced the Entire distributor with no effect. My stepfather had this truck originally and he is a mechanic by trade. He thought that the timing was off. So after replacing the distributor we put a gun on it and finally tweaked the timing and for the most part got rid of the ever slight constant ping that it had. But the Hard ping under heavy fuel load never was remedied. I was worried that because even with the correct timing it still seemed incorrect that perhaps having so many miles the timing chain may be sloppy. Finally out of frustration I Actually took it to the a certified shop and this is what they said. One of the plugs was intermittently fouling so they replaced it, they also said that the truck was not throwing codes, and that it had LOW fuel pressure, they replaced the Filter which was dirty and said that it should run better, but the IN tank pump needed replaced, they also said the timing chain was okay, and that the timing was ever so slight off, this was my doing trying to tweak it enough to get rid of the ping. Having replaced the Fuel pump today there seems to be no change... Here is what it was doing before and after. Once cold I can run this truck with a slight ping and no disrupting of power. after restarting the truck once warm it will all of the sudden lose spark, fuel, or something and act as if the ignition was turned OFF, when on the highway there is enough rpm that it will mostly buck, and recover... but in town there isnt enough rpm, and I will have to place the truck in Neutral and restart the engine, rev up and slide it back into drive sometimes this it will be to be restarted multiple times. Tomorrow we are going to re time it again. considering that the old fuel pump may have had low fuel pressure and considering i tweaked the timing to compensate that, it maybe getting the fuel it needs, but I need to Uncompensated for the previous low fuel pressure. when this engine does stop its very sudden like the ignition is turned off temporarily. no sputtering it just dies. This truck always starts, does not smoke, drive-train is great.. id love to keep this old truck but the frustration is beyond belief at this point. PLEASE HELP... any help or suggestions would help, my stepfather is a smart guy and knows what he is doing, and he seems to be lost as well..*please note that when cold i can run the truck with NO issues for a very long time.... but once shut off and restarted warm... hell breaks lose.