Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1996 Chevy Lumina dies when hot

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Chevy Lumina dies when hot

Hello all, i have a 1996 lumina 3.1 V6. I can start it, and after about an hour of just idling, it dies. also, if i push on the brake hard, it dies too. I do not have alot of money right now, does anyone know any tests that i can do to find the problem, rather than replacing a bunch of things? after it dies, it won't start back up for about an hour. i have pressed in on the schrader valve on the fuel rail, it has gas and seems to come out at a good pressure. Also, on these motors, were there any sensors that would shut down the motor if overheated? I've noticed that only 1 of the 2 cooling fans work, but it only runs 10 degrees hotter, if even that. Thank you for your input, i need to get this issue resolved in a timely matter as it is a daily driver. THANKS!
Old December 29th, 2009, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same car. As well, my car is doing the same thing mentioned. I have changed the fuel filter thinking that that might be the problem, changed plugs and wires to include coils. Still idles erratically, stalls when idling and has absolutely no power. Once cruising it does great, unless there is a hill involved. The book calls for checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail (expensive toy), I may try renting one from auto zone. I am thinking that this lack of power could be caused by a fuel problem more than fire. Except with all the emitions sensors this could also be the problem. I believe that if the fuel pressure is correct maybe it is a faulty EGR valve. At $180 bucks I don’t want to second chance that part. Hmm, if you found the solution with yours let me know.