Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1999 LS Crewcab having issues pulling trailer

Old July 16th, 2013, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 LS Crewcab having issues pulling trailer

Hello all. I'm a newbie and need some help diagnosing a problem. Just bought this truck a couple of months ago and attempted to pull my 27' Jayco (bumper pull) to the lake. Even on flat runs, this truck did not want to go into overdrive (or remain in it very long), and unless i really had my foot into it, did not like any grades. I don't have any check engine lights and all else appears normal with the engine; oil/coolant levels good, wires and plugs, rotor good and the engine doesn't smoke. Unhooked, the truck seems to have decent power and acceleration. I'm wondering if it is fuel related (pump, regulator, injectors,etc..)??

Talking with a tranny shop, they believe the 4L80E is alright and it is engine related, even though i don't have a check engine light on. The previous owner said he replaced the fuel pump and both cats within the past 2 years, including the plugs, wires and cap/rotor within the past year. Any ideas as to where i should be looking?? Thanks all!!
Old July 16th, 2013, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

well, i just heard back from the mechanic and after running a full check on the engine, the computer didn't turn up anything. They drove the truck and agreed it has good acceleration and power, and, are 100% sure it isn't the tranny. They asked to keep the truck overnight and would get back with me tomorrow.

Is it possible this 27' (4200 lb) Jayco is too much for this truck?? Surely not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, i'm running after market 16" wheels and 265 load range E tires. TIA, james
Old July 17th, 2013, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

I failed to mention earlier that i'm running stock 373 gears and the truck is at factor height with no lift. No engine or tranny upgrades done; the previous owner installed a magnaflow in place of the factory muffler. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks alot, James
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James,

I just ran across this thread, have we discussed this problem in another thread, or does this need to be discussed ?

S.W.
Old July 25th, 2013, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Hey SW, this is James (same guy and same issue in another thread). i originally posted here with no responses and figured i posted in the wrong area. If my schedule will allow, gonna pick back up on my trouble shooting this evening and into the weekend. I will post my results under the thread we have going under General Tech. thanks
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem James, see ya on the other one