Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

83 Chevette - Get Rid Of CCC Carb?

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 Chevette - Get Rid Of CCC Carb?

Hi, Everyone!

New here.

I recently purchased an 83 Chevette [waits for laughter to subside], and I love the li'l booger!

I would like to get rid of the CCC computer-controlled carb (2 bbl - manual trans). Would I just be able to use a '79-81 non-CCC carb from an earlier Shove-ette?

Is there any connection in the CCC system between the carb and the distributor? (i.e. would I need to go to an older distributor too, if I did the switch?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The reason I want to get rid of the CCC is to avoid any future problems (the car runs fine now...just the idle can be erratic and make it stall at stops...)- and to make the car easy to fix when something goes wrong- and to allow me to be in control over what goes on. I like simple, basic things. You'd think an '83 would fit the bill....but NOOooo!! (I was told it was an 81 when I bought it....which I would have preferred)

So what are my options? Switch to an earlier Chevette carb? Get an after-market job?
Old December 1st, 2016, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 85 4 door 'Vette ..... .get a Holley 5200/5210 2 bbl from a 79 Dodge Omni or Plymouth Horizon or an earlier Chevette carb. I have run both on the car and the Dodge carb (all are Holley built under license from Weber) runs by far the best. . Easy and simple carb swap.

No wiring, vacuum connection to the distributor, etc. The wiring goes back to the computer to control mixture, etc so you will only omit the one wire to the carb and leave the rest alone at the ignition coil and/or distributor.

No doubt I love my little vette, snappy little car if you make the carb swap and get a different breather (or drill holes in the bottom of the stock one). Needs a little more air flow and will gain a little power. Ive totally restored mine and complete engine rebuild so like brand new again, hard to kill these cars and I expect many more years of fun driving in it. Always get lots of looks and questions when I roll up in mine, turns out these little cars are getting quite popular and hard to find
Old December 2nd, 2016, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Idan Danison
I have an 85 4 door 'Vette ..... .get a Holley 5200/5210 2 bbl from a 79 Dodge Omni or Plymouth Horizon or an earlier Chevette carb. I have run both on the car and the Dodge carb (all are Holley built under license from Weber) runs by far the best. . Easy and simple carb swap.

No wiring, vacuum connection to the distributor, etc. The wiring goes back to the computer to control mixture, etc so you will only omit the one wire to the carb and leave the rest alone at the ignition coil and/or distributor.

No doubt I love my little vette, snappy little car if you make the carb swap and get a different breather (or drill holes in the bottom of the stock one). Needs a little more air flow and will gain a little power. Ive totally restored mine and complete engine rebuild so like brand new again, hard to kill these cars and I expect many more years of fun driving in it. Always get lots of looks and questions when I roll up in mine, turns out these little cars are getting quite popular and hard to find
Wow! Wish I would have tried that! I got bored the Shove-ette in short-order, and ended up selling it after a few months, for 5 times what I paid for it. I guess you are correct! It was a clean southern car- I'd bet it would be worth even more now! The buyer came from 1000 miles away to get it. He had several of them, and was intending to restore mine.

Thanks for the info- If I still had her, I would have done exactly as you suggested. That CCC carb was ANNOYING, and of course, made the car ridiculously slow.