Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

ACC always has 12v and not the ign switch -- help

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC always has 12v and not the ign switch -- help

I have a P30 motor home and when we got to our campsite and turned the key off, the acc 12V stayed on. As one of the accessories is an air compressor so this was a problem, I did some temporary repairs to get us by. I have traced the problem somewhat and I find that there are two wires going to the acc position on the ignition switch. One is a fat wire and one is very fine. When I cut the small fine wire, the fuse block acc is no longer powered and now the things I have tested work fine but I don't know where the wire I just cut goes and what problems are waiting for me on the other end of that shorted wire.

Does anyone here know what that second small wire going to the acc position on the ign switch might be?

Allen
Old April 24th, 2011, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:
Whatever it is is drawing 1.5 Amps and the voltage drop to the wire I cut, that is at 12 Volts, is .96 Volts. So, the unknown load with the short is like 18 watts.

I probed the fuse block and found nothing at that voltage so it must be from somewhere else.

I have to crawl through the opening where the TV goes to get behind the dash. The wire in question goes into a big blob wire junction all taped together about an inch around that is out of reach. I sure hope someone can toss out an idea that will help me find this.

Allen
Old April 24th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE 2:

A friend wanted to know what the voltage did when I started the engine. It bounced around but hit 17 volts. Realizing that meant that the line had to go to the Alternator, I disconnected the alternator and the voltage disappeared. Very much closer to knowing what is going on.

However, the wire is 11 ohms to the alternator connector so something else is in the circuit. I would love a wiring diagram or some help on what is in the circuit between the acc switch and the alternator.
Old April 24th, 2011, 9:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Man I hate electrical grimlins!!! This sounds like you may have a diode or something out inside the alternator causing the parasitic drain. I found this in other cars over the years and just thought I would throw that out there. Good luck.

Hope it helps.
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BAGnDRAG-K5
Man I hate electrical grimlins!!! This sounds like you may have a diode or something out inside the alternator causing the parasitic drain. I found this in other cars over the years and just thought I would throw that out there. Good luck.

Hope it helps.
I found a schematic and there is a 10 ohm resistor in the circuit so I think you are right. Thanks for the reply. Looks like I need take the alternator out.

Allen