Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

HELP!! 86 Chevy v10- not wanting to shift

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2019, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 86 Chevy v10- not wanting to shift

Hi guys, so I have an 86 Chevy V10, 454 big block, 700r4 trans. This truck has been one issue after another since I got it almost 2 years ago. Long story short I put a new Edelbrock 1406 600cfm electric choke carb in it over a year ago and couldn't get it to run right. Shortly after the trans burned out and I just got around to replacing that. So I have driven it a few times since then, but now it doesnt want to shift. I took it out today, and at first it shifted fine
Then as it warmed up it didnt want to go into OD. Then it wouldn't go into 3rd. Then i had to manually shift on the column to get it into 2nd. I just now figured out, after extensive research into TV cable adjustment, that a TV cable alignment bracket was supposed to be installed on the carb. Does this sound like it could be related? Advice?? I am a noob at this so sorry if it's real obvious.
I need some guidance on this and can't find much helpful info on the internet relating my my truck specs. Just hoping I didnt burn out another transmission.
Old April 8th, 2019, 3:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Meredith2019
Hi guys, so I have an 86 Chevy V10, 454 big block, 700r4 trans. This truck has been one issue after another since I got it almost 2 years ago. Long story short I put a new Edelbrock 1406 600cfm electric choke carb in it over a year ago and couldn't get it to run right. Shortly after the trans burned out and I just got around to replacing that. So I have driven it a few times since then, but now it doesnt want to shift. I took it out today, and at first it shifted fine
Then as it warmed up it didnt want to go into OD. Then it wouldn't go into 3rd. Then i had to manually shift on the column to get it into 2nd. I just now figured out, after extensive research into TV cable adjustment, that a TV cable alignment bracket was supposed to be installed on the carb. Does this sound like it could be related? Advice?? I am a noob at this so sorry if it's real obvious.
I need some guidance on this and can't find much helpful info on the internet relating my my truck specs. Just hoping I didnt burn out another transmission.
Yeah, the linkage or cable to your Edelbrock (Carter) carb is necessary to make proper down-upshifts on an automatic transmission for the most part. Not so sure that's why it won't go into OD, however, but back in the day most vehicles, manual or automatic, didn't have an overdrive. My old man's 1948 Studebaker had a pull-out lever to engage the OD, but it also had a three-on-the-tree 3-speed transmission and a flathead inline six-cylinder motor. Built like a tank too, but it would get 20 MPG Hwy, which was great back then. If you don't have a cable or linkage to your carb then you need to install one as it should and likely DID come with one from the GM vehicle factory.