Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Horrific carburetor noise

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2011 | 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Horrific carburetor noise

So, I have a 1973 Chevy C-10 pickup. Recently, the carburetor has developed an absolutely obnoxious noise. There is no other way to describe it other than a loud scream. It first started a couple weeks back, shortly after I replaced my alternator, and I was sure that the rebuilt I just put in had no bearings or something and was was grinding and making a screaming noise. But, I changed it, and realized it wasn't it, but was coming from the carburetor.
This is the odd thing. The noise doesn't start immediately when I start the truck and begin driving. It starts after I reach a certain speed. It seems I can shift up to 3rd, and drive at around 25-30, and then when I apply more gas to get up to 4th, it comes out of nowhere. It's so loud, that this morning when I was driving down a residential neighborhood, I passed a man in his yard, the noise came, and he ducked in fear!
Any help is appreciated.
Old October 13th, 2011 | 1:50 PM
CF Monarch

Not knowing much more, sounds like the carb base gasket is leaking, sucking air. Might be best to replace it. I'd also suggest use the thick base gasket, and do NOT overtighten it. Is it a 2GC or a quad? I can send or post torques for whatever you have if needed.
Old October 13th, 2011 | 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Its a 2GC. I was planning on going out and replacing all the gaskets today. I just took the carb out and am having a look at it, and I can't find any dead give away to what the problem is. Mounting gasket has a little wear, but it doesn't take much to get a little suction.
Old October 17th, 2011 | 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Como puedo poner en tiempo el motor de s-10 de2001
Old October 17th, 2011 | 12:56 PM
CF Monarch

Well, did you get the problem resolved?
Old October 17th, 2011 | 1:08 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Angel Lopez
Como puedo poner en tiempo el motor de s-10 de2001
You need to post in english, and I'd suggest on the S10 threads regarding engines installations, "when you get time"
Old October 17th, 2011 | 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

So, that didn't end up fixing it. I had some hopes, for the noise didn't start for a little bit more time than it normally does. Could there be a part internally that is out of whack? I can't see it being the float, the other gaskets look fine. Could the air bleeds cause something like this? I'm just trying to think of something that is channeling air and could produce that noise if not tuned.
Old October 18th, 2011 | 9:44 AM
CF Monarch

Can you send a pix of the carb/area?
Old November 9th, 2011 | 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry about the delay, Kevin. If you are still available to look at some photos, PM me your e-mail. The photos I took are too big to put up on this site.