Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Need help - Power Steering Pump - How to install Inlet Valve on pump body - Replacing

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2019, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Power Steering Pump - How to install Inlet Valve on pump body - Replacing

Guys,

I need help please, as in a jam with no wheels now...

Started with replacing my Power Steering Pump because it is squealing.

Bought a new pump, and instructions say I need to swap some parts from the old pump to put on the replacement pump.

The replacement is identical, outside of the parts needing to be swapped out.

Looking to find out how to correctly install the Inlet Valve on PS pump body, as I am having trouble getting old parts on the new pump.

I pulled the Inlet Valve body that has 3 O-Rings on it from old pump, and unscrewed and it pretty much popped right out.

Go figure, now can't reassemble it...?

I then removed the 3 old O-Rings on it and cleaned it up, installed 3 new O-Rings, coated w/Dielectric grease and attempted to reinstall it back in the same location on pump body.

The inlet body screwed in a bit, and then it just stopped...?

Rather than force it, I removed it from being started on the replacement pump, also removed the 3 new O-Rings on it and went back to the old bad PS pump and tried to put it back in the old one, only to learn how it would work, and now I can't reinstall it in the old pump...?

Little puzzled here as it came out so easily.

Made a few calls and cant seem to find anyone to tell me how to swap the parts out.

I do not want to force it, unless that is what is actually required, but I think there is some kind of a trick that I am not aware of to correctly install the Inlet Valve onto the new PS pump?

Can someone please tell me how to get the Inlet Valve with the 3 new O-Rings into the replacement PS pump body?

In a bit of a jam, with the Suburban down and nothing else to drive right now, as I never expected any issue to hold up the pump replacement job today.

Can anyone tell me what is up with why I can't easily put the Inlet Valve body into the replacement pump?

Really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me on this.

Best regards,

Lfryklu