Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

No Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power Steering

HI
I have for the last 9 months been repowering a 1985 g20 van with a 1998 5.7l vortec and 4l60E trans,33 gal fuel tank,4.10 gears with limited slip rear end,Dual Batteries ,Tow truck jump ports,compressed air system,remote electric fan oil and trans coolers, I have it running (it runs great!) I am having a problem with the power steering . I forgot to put oil in the ps pump and burned it up when I was first getting everything started oops... Anyway I got a new ac delco reman pump for the 98 engine and replaced the gearbox on the van because it was kinda loose.
I have no pressure out of the pump I can take the pressure hose off while it is running and there is nothing coming out. If I tap the throttle it will start to pump but I can stop the flow with my thumb. I remember reading in some paperwork that was in the box that if the pump does not pump to change the flow valve with the old one. I had to send back the core so I don't have the old valve
It fels like there is some fluid flow inside the pump.
You have any ideas
I might go to the wrecking yard to get another flow valve tomarrow or check out the paperwork out of another new pump.

Kendall
Diesel mechanic 21 years

Old January 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No Power Steering

found the problem
had the oring on the wrong groove on the flow control valve fitting

Kendall