Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Off center steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2018, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off center steering wheel

I have a 69 Impala convertible which I have owned for about 5 years. The steering wheel was not centered when I got the car and now after having the front end rebuilt and aligned, the wheel is even more off center (i.e. 1:30/7:30 position). The front end mechanic said he couldn't get the wheel straight using the sleeve adjustment on the idler arms which is what is normally used, to correct this condition. The car is in perfect alignment. (The sleeves on the idler arms are about all the farther they can go one way, but it is still not enough to get the steering wheel straight). The car has a tilt steering wheel, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. I removed the steering wheel to see if it could simply be installed in another position, but it is keyed to the shaft. The front end mechanic said he removed the pitman arm to see if it could be installed in a different position, but it too was keyed to the steering shaft. I considered rotating the rag joint, but the shaft is under cut for bolt clearance that holds it together. I do not see any other place to align the steering wheel unless there is some way to change the position inside the steering gear itself.. Does anyone out there know what can be done to get the steering wheel straight? Thanks for any help anyone can give on this problem. Harv
Old September 9th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

1:30 7:30 not sure what that means. how many degrees off-centre is the steering wheel....ie 10 degrees right

as it sits now...how many turns of the steering wheel do you get if you go from left stop to right steering stop?
Old September 9th, 2018, 10:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering wheel is 45 degrees off center - i.e. counter clockwise. I didn't see how many turn stop to stop, but it seems normal. Won't be able to check that until tomorrow.

Harv
Old September 9th, 2018, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ok, check it out.
45 degrees off center left or off center right
Old September 11th, 2018, 5:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer for your front end guy,I looked up some parts,I saw a offset pitman arm?on one picture and variations of center link,one of those is not correct? from memory, when the idler arm is straight forward,what is correct, steering wheel or tires?