Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump

I have an 86 celebrity and I had to replace the power steering pump, however, there's something I can't quite remember.

The mounting bracket for the pump has 2 definitive spots that it would latch on with a bolt - at the top, and the bottom. There's also a middle spot that may be part of the torquing, but I can't see where the bolt would plug into because I can't see it very well.

Anybody happen to know or remember if its used, or will it stay if I torque the other bolts (3 total - there's also the main adjuster bolt that you just tighten a nut on)?

I can post photos if need be.
Old December 17th, 2009, 3:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Power steering pump

Hello all, Im wondering if anybody would know where I could get a Mini Power Steering Pump preferably online, mine has gone and my Dad is going to replace it for me, the only problem is trying to find one. Tried Mini Dealers but the prices are ridiculous €1,000 to replace and fit it. Many thanksCooper7
Old April 12th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

hello i have an 85 that i use for enduro racing,so the car is gutted of ALL non esintial (i know i cant spell) parts.just replaced power steer pump sat.its a pain to get to,i had to take it off a car that still had heater box and everything else.the pump is a saganaw,pretty common on all makes of vech,the nuts you were talking about... the two outter ones hold a bracket to the pump body the middle is to tighten after adj'in it. the other two are on the front of the block behind the air pump.it took me an hour to get it off the donor car and 15 min to install on mine so i know what a pain it is. dont forget to replace to "o" ring on the bottom line while you have it apart,and if your having problems with the bottom line nut loosining over time just loop a piece of mechs wire around the metal part of line then tie it off to something sturdy,i was going to rebuild the pump but the shaft got twisted somehow,so the parts store wanted 55 bucks for a rebuilt one....10 bucks used at a junkyard and like i said earlier those pumps were used on all makes of cars so there are alot to pick from out there hope this helps.
Old April 12th, 2010, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

day motorsports .com out of tyler texas,great selection of parts great prices,fast shipping.