S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1992 Chevy Blazer died suddenly and lost battery power

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2017, 5:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Chevy Blazer died suddenly and lost battery power

I have a 1992 Chevy k1500 Blazer with a 5.7L small block engine. I have had a lot of troubles with this vehicle but lately it has been running great. A couple weeks ago I had the oil changed and the tires rotated at a Walmart service center. When I got it back it was running kind of rough. This morning I went to drive to work and it started fine but started sputtering after a few minutes. I thought it was because the gas was low but I put gas in it and drove about 5 miles and all of a sudden it just shut off. Oil pressure was locked on zero right before it shut down. My battery was completely drained when I tried to start it back up. I don't know what it could be. I know it has been burning oil lately, I think it's the valve seals but not 100% sure. Can anybody help me out?
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

If your battery was strong enough to start the engine but the engine then died, check your alternator to see if it is putting out enough voltage to keep the engine running. The rough running you described could have been caused by insufficient power to fully fire your spark plugs.
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

So I went and got my truck and when I put a jump start box on it and tried to start it, it just turned over so I'm guessing no spark. I had a similar problem before and it ended up being the distributor. I don't remember exactly if it was the coil or the rotor last time but that's what I need to figure out.