S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1997 Chevy S10 with stuck door

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Chevy S10 with stuck door

I returned to my '97 Chevy S10 today after doing a little shopping on my lunch hour. The rain had just started to come down. I tried to unlock my door using my keyless entry and I heard the clicking as normal. When I pulled the handle, however, the door remained 'locked'. I tried the keyless again and then the key and still no go. I went around to the passenger side and reached for the interior handle and still nothing. I unloaded my cart and climbed in from the passenger seat.

I drove back to work and I pushed the unlock button about five or six times and was surprised to find that the door opened when I pulled the handle again.

Can someone tell me what the likely cause of this malfunction and what steps I can take to correct it? If it should happen again, can I somehow open the door by removing the interior door panel and reaching inside somehow?

Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the linkage between the handle and striker receiver thats broken. Do you hear a popping sound when you pull the handle?

The best thing I can tell you is to pull off the door panel to the point where you can get to it. You won't be able to get it all the way off because the dash will block it.

First you need to remove the handle bezel. There should be only one phillips screw behind the door handle.
You also need to unscrew the two screws found in two recesses under the armrest. Once you have done that, it'll take a solid but gentle pull. Pull out on the lower pocket, then handle and work it to where you can get your hand in.

There will be a black vapor barrier that you can pull off. I recommend doing this in a cooled area because the adhesive is super-sticky.

You should then be able to reach in and feel around until you determine if the linkage is still intact and open the door.
Old May 15th, 2009, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

???? The door eventually opens and continues to open. I've locked it and unlocked it a few times now and I'm not noticing a problem. I know that this will happen again, however, and am looking for a possible cause so that I can fix whatever the problem is.