S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forums and to the world of Chevy lol. Recently I purchased a 1998 S-10 2.2l 5speed. And After a few weeks I started having some weird issues I hope someone can help me with. When driving the truck sometimes the gauges will just all the sudden light up as if you had just turned the key on, now sometimes it will do this and the engine will keep running fine. Other times the truck's gauges will do this several times in a row with the truck jerking. It does this completely intermittently. Sometimes you can drive the truck for hours without it doing it then other times it will do it just pulling out of the drive way. I have taking it to Chevy twice already first time they said Alternator changed that then they said BCM. When the truck does do this sometimes it will start right back up no issues others it will have a hard time starting. Also another weird issue I am having is the lights on the truck run all the time day or night and not the DRL i am talking about the full lights of the truck. I know this is some kind of electrical issue with the truck. When it does run it runs quite good well for a 2.2 lol.... Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, places for me to start any help would be so much appreciated. A few people locally have told me to check grounds but I am not sure exactly where and which ones I should be most concerned with checking. THANK YOU in advance guys for any help.
Old October 25th, 2007, 2:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem

Howdy, FateON3 [sm=welcomesign.gif], Never go to a dealer, thier there to make money. The name should say it all. " Dealer " Ok, The grounds they are mentioning are 1-battery terminals
2- chassy grounds from the starter, to see if they are corrosion free and tite. Now, it sounds like a3 partquestion? Lights? gauges?and ruff running truck? I would need more info on the trucks runningcondition,check your fuesses, the switch to the gauges in the cab is most likely wornor has a loose conection.
[sm=type.gif]
Old October 25th, 2007, 2:21 PM
CF Junior Member

eurogold seems to have a good answer to the light issue also.
Old October 25th, 2007, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the quick response man. I have checked the grounds and they all seem to be tight and snug and clean of dirt and corrosion. I also put in an Optima battery. It is somewhat a 3 part question lol and I do apolgize for that. I have checked all fuses all are fine. The truck when it runs, runs very smooth not a hiccup. Today after taking it for a drive with the new battery I noticed at a stop sign my voltage gauge dropped down to the first 1/4 marker and moved around for a few secs then the truck's gauges all light up. It literaly looks like someone just turned the key on when all the gauges light up. That time the truck stayed running sometimes they truck will die after it does it other times it will do it a few times in a row causing the truck to shake and jerk. It did that and then went right back to running perfect. Voltage went right back up to right above 14 and nothing else. Now I will say the dealer did the say that they thought the Crankshaft Sensor and the catlytic converter looked to be bad. Could that do it? I know w/e this is it has to be an electrical issue and not mechincal the truck runs too well for it to be a mechnical issue. The truck only has 87k on it that is what is killing me about it. She is still in her prime and having problems like this. Also I did find out the truck was in a front end collision. Is there anything in that region I should focus on or check out. I am going to purchase the sensor Tomm and put it in and see if that does anything for the lights at all. Any more help you can give guys will be so appreciated THANKS AGAIN.....
Old October 26th, 2007, 8:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Howdy, Sounds like a nice pickup, I have a 89 an 99 V6 4.3. Im a DIYer with around 30 years wrenchin exp. Im rebuilding the 89 and enjoy my 99 daily driver. OK nuf bout me,Did the dealer run a scan on the truck. I prefer free, did I mention FREE scans from local auto parts stores. autozone- advance auto- so on, they will also check the voltage on you alternator, Also FREE -to see if its going bad. Any read out thay come up with in the coads after the scan,thay will print them out for you with a diagnosticof the probem and how to fix it. Start here with the freebies and see if it tracks the problem down. Keep me/us up to speed on the progress, Later.
[sm=type.gif]
Old November 7th, 2007, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the long delay in response. Yes they did run a full scan on the truck. The only code thrown was the Cat. was bad and needed replacement. But they said openly that would not cause my problems in any way shape or form. I have had all the hot and ground cables checked and all checked out fine.... A lot of people are becoming stumped by this truck lol. Any help guys would be appreciated. I am thinking of swapping in an LT1 engine if no one can figure anything out but I am seriously scared that even doing that even though you are pretty much replacing EVERYTHING the truck will still mess up. They did also say it looked like my ignition was not factory. I am going to look into that soon and see if i can see something physically wrong with it.
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Howdy, Ignition is a probabilty, and thanks for the update.
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

Well after two more mechanics looking at it I have decided to just drop in an LT1... The problem is still unknown and i am hoping with every inch of my soul that it was a faulty wire and this swap will fix it. I am going to also swap out the ignition also I will keep you posted I pick up my engine this Sat. I will let you all know how things turn out. THANKS for everything...