S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2.8 Dying out at red light.

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2009, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8 Dying out at red light.

I have done a complete tune up. wires, plugs, cap, rotor. fuel filter sperk plugs, but when i get it up to running tempeture it stalls out at red lights does any body have any ideas its driving me crazy. its a carburated engine.
Old July 26th, 2009, 5:43 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it originally carburated or was that a mod?
Old July 26th, 2009, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

originally carburated
Old July 27th, 2009, 9:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kalispellbob
I have done a complete tune up. wires, plugs, cap, rotor. fuel filter sperk plugs, but when i get it up to running tempeture it stalls out at red lights does any body have any ideas its driving me crazy. its a carburated engine.
Hey Bob ... does it die when you gas-it to take off?

Or, just start idling lower and then dies?

Is it manual or A/T?

Does it die if in neutral.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? Just wondering if you could monitor the vacuum at idle as the engine warms up?
Old July 27th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

it dies when i am idling at red light or stop sign. it is a manual 4 speed. A friend of mine that is a mechanic came over house last night and looked at it for me. He found a rubber hose that goes to PVC valve had a hole in it. He changed it for me and it seems to be running ok. I will post back later after i drive it a little. I was looking for bad vacum hoses but i guess my eyes are not as good as they used to be Thanx Guys. Bob
Old July 27th, 2009, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spray ether around the hoses and intake if it idles high you have a vacuum leak.
Old July 27th, 2009, 9:55 PM
CF Veteran

Default 2.8

my 85 2.8 auto i had to replace about 25 feet of vacuum hose they were all soft . they would fall off at the wrong time .
Old July 29th, 2009, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Didnt find anymore vacum leaks but it happened again today. I was pulling out of walmart. I was shifting through gears and all of a sudden it felt like it was starving for fuel. It lasted about 10 seconds and i pumped on gas a couple of times nothing happened then it finally kicked in again. The whole truck didnt shut off just the fuel it seemed like. I was thinking maybe changing fuel pump on engine what do you think. Bob
Old July 29th, 2009, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kalispellbob
Didnt find anymore vacum leaks but it happened again today. I was pulling out of walmart. I was shifting through gears and all of a sudden it felt like it was starving for fuel. It lasted about 10 seconds and i pumped on gas a couple of times nothing happened then it finally kicked in again. The whole truck didnt shut off just the fuel it seemed like. I was thinking maybe changing fuel pump on engine what do you think. Bob
Bob ... I hate carburetor's and mechanical fuel pumps ... you've had other posts with this truck and I don't remember - have you changed the carb?

Up until this last episode the complaint has been power loss while truck is stopped. I'm thinking there could be a sticky needle-valve or float. Something that keeps the bowl from filling and staying full.

The fuel pump, or debris in the fuel line, could also cause a problem.

Your instincts are probably good regarding the fuel pump ... I actually have a pressure gauge for one of those old critters -- seems like they only put out 5 pounds or so.