S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

4.3 random stumble, surge, dying

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2020, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4.3 random stumble, surge, dying

My 2001 S-10 4.3 4x4 Has a problem I can't figure out. Randomly, it will begin stumbling, surging, and if at idle (like sitting at traffic light), it may die. It's like the ignition or injection system lost power momentarily. It will usually restart, but it still exhibits those problems. I have also noticed that if I check my gauges at the same time this is happening, they are fluctuating as if cluster power is changing, All the needles will fall off normal positions (temp will instantly drop, oil pressure and fuel level too). If the stumbling recovers, the gauges will too. It will surge during recovery. I have been having this problem for the last couple of years...It's just so random that I can't duplicate it and chase the problem.The truck does have 243K miles, so it has been good to me...I bought it new. About 8-9 years ago, I replaced the intake gaskets due to coolant leaks. I have also replaced the alternator about 12-13 years ago.
Help please.
Old February 12th, 2020, 8:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul01
My 2001 S-10 4.3 4x4 Has a problem I can't figure out. Randomly, it will begin stumbling, surging, and if at idle (like sitting at traffic light), it may die. It's like the ignition or injection system lost power momentarily. It will usually restart, but it still exhibits those problems. I have also noticed that if I check my gauges at the same time this is happening, they are fluctuating as if cluster power is changing, All the needles will fall off normal positions (temp will instantly drop, oil pressure and fuel level too). If the stumbling recovers, the gauges will too. It will surge during recovery. I have been having this problem for the last couple of years...It's just so random that I can't duplicate it and chase the problem.The truck does have 243K miles, so it has been good to me...I bought it new. About 8-9 years ago, I replaced the intake gaskets due to coolant leaks. I have also replaced the alternator about 12-13 years ago.
Help please.
Likely a fuel system issue. How old is your battery? Been tested. ?
Old February 12th, 2020, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Likely a fuel system issue. How old is your battery? Been tested. ?
I I don't discount that it could have a fuel system issue but pressure is at 60 KOEO and 56 during idle. The truck is on its third replacement fuel pump and they are OE units. That means the original plus three replacements. The current fuel pump is very whiny.
The battery is about three years old and the engine will crank nice and quick for a good half a minute or more.
Old February 13th, 2020, 4:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul01
I I don't discount that it could have a fuel system issue but pressure is at 60 KOEO and 56 during idle. The truck is on its third replacement fuel pump and they are OE units. That means the original plus three replacements. The current fuel pump is very whiny.
The battery is about three years old and the engine will crank nice and quick for a good half a minute or more.
Not surprising about the fuel pumps since they are not made in North America. PURE-D junk most of it