S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

85 S10 4WD Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 S10 4WD Tahoe

Hi everyone...new to the forum. My dad has the above mentioned S10 2.8L, purchased new, in immaculate condition. He had a stroke a few years ago and does not drive. My mother drives it occassionally to keep it up. It recently started having a strong fuel smell around the truck. She took it to the dealership and they said the carburetor is leaking on the manifold and it would be $200 to rebuild. I can get a rebuild kit for <$20 and do it myself. The problem is I am 100 miles away. Can someone tell me what tools I need to carry over to remove the carb and bring it to my house to rebuild? If I get this fixed, I can drive the truck (without fear of fire) to my house to replace the fuel sending unit, which is also bad (dealer wanted $700 to fix) and the driver's door handle (dealer wanted $250). I know this is a silly request, but we gotta take care of our parents Your help is much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back when I get to the other repairs.
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 85 S10 4WD Tahoe

I am not positive, but just basic tools. It should be held on by 4 bolts if I remeber right. You may need a 12 point socket though. I would take some torques bits along with a phillips and regualr screwdriver, I would take a 1/4 drive socket set, wouldn't hurt to have a 3/8 too.
Old April 8th, 2007, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply...I'm going to scrap together sockets (US & Metric), screwdrivers, torx, and some needlenose...not sure how the throttle cables will be attached. I have to work through Thursday, then I'll pack up and head over. My Xmas present to myself was a new 3-tier Craftsman tool chest. I just moved all of my tools over to it, but you can't carry that big thing with you!
Old April 14th, 2007, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Holy Crap[] Took me two hours to get that thing off. Had to go buy a special wrench to get at the carb to manifold nuts (they were recessed so far back)...all of the vacuum lines were rotted (22 years old). I know new vehivles are complicated to work on but I didn't know it started in the mid 80s. The insulator/EFE heater (manifold gasket) crumbled in my hands. I've got the carb back at my house now and I will start the rebuild this week. Hope I remember where everything goes went to put it back on. I am taking pics as I rebuild so I can look back at them as I reassemble. Other than the special wrench, I had everything. Thanks kcbfor suggesting the torx drives...lots of those on this truck!