S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

86 S10 Blazer clutch question

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2008, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 S10 Blazer clutch question

Hi all Im new to this site and just picked up a 85 S10 Blazer 2.8 5 speed with no rustfor free.My brother in law owned it and blew the original 2.8 and replaced it with a different one and now the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor so i dont know if they didnt get something lined up right when putting it back together. I talked to my father in law tonight and he said something about maybe a rod getting bent cause they didnt know what they were doing but he cant remember cause this was 5 years ago and its been sitting ever since. So if anyone has any experiance with this and can help that would be great. I want to pick it up this weekend and start tearing into it.
Old January 6th, 2008, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 86 S10 Blazer clutch question

Basically i would approch it and look for anything that could possibly be wrong with it.... theres only really two or three things that could be wrong with actual clutch install. I believe the rest are in the slave/master cylinder set up. The way i see if is if it worked properly before they took it off then they did something wrong.

Things to check first:
Check for binding between the clutch pedal and anything under the dash.
check the clutch master and clutch slave cylinder make sure that there is plenty of fluid.
bleeding the lines (if possible)....
check and make sure the rod comming off of the slave cylinder is properly lined up with the Clutch fork

If you need to pull the Transmission:
Reversed Throwout bearing on the clutch fork.
Installing the clutch fork backwards.
and a problem with the presure plate that would not allow it to come back to the (Full Engaged) position. (reversed throwout bearing could cause this. becaue there is a smaller end that could get stuck in the pressure plate fingers after the first time the pedal was pressed. Keepking them from returning to the nomal (fully engaged) position) all this would render the clutch pedal stuck at the floor.

Honestly if they did not replace the flywheel and clutch with the engine. and they just reused the old ones. I would pull it apart and replace them first.... Even if they changed the clutch and didn't resurface/replace the flywheel i would pull it apart and resurface/replace the flywheel. I didn't do this when i changed the clutch on mine once (before i really knew much about cars) and there was a bad clutch "Chatter" about 2 weeks later i pulled it apart and did it all over. I just bought a new clutch disk and flywheel installed it and it works great.

Old January 9th, 2008, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 86 S10 Blazer clutch question

well just thought i would update ya. i ended up pulling the engine on the blazer and found out that the throwout bearing fell out of the fork when they installled the engine so i bolted the bellhousing to the tranny before i reinstalled the engine so i could put the fork and throwout bearing on the pilot shaft of the transmission. i also found out that there is a brand new clutch and pressure plate. so anyway its running now so i just have to clean her up and replace some vacuum lines.