S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

96 4.3l no spark at coil

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2010, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96 4.3l no spark at coil

Hi everyone,
I am currently doing a transplant of a 96 4.3l out of a Blazer (ran ok when I pulled the motor) I am dropping it into my 83 Mitsubishi Montero, I have a painless harness and have had a computer reprogrammed/ flashed for this motor and harness. I have gone through an all data troubleshooting tree and leads me to check the AV voltage when cranking I get nothing. also when I probe the coil wire plug c with a test lamp and was supposed to flash when cranked, and nothing. the coil is getting power but is not sending the signal when I crank. I've checked the crank sensor by pulling it and running a metal object over it and I get the same thing fuel pump turns on but no spark, that tells me the sensor is ok,, right? however I'm not sure how it would be that if it was running fine before I pulled it. I can hear the fuel pump prime and can smell the fuel, I am getting everything but spark.

anything helps thank you!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 2:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

either power to coil is insufficent, or it's not receiving ignition signal from switch or computer, or the coil is shot.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
either power to coil is insufficent, or it's not receiving ignition signal from switch or computer, or the coil is shot.
the computer is "new". just ordered it and when I hook up an OBDII connector it does not give any trouble codes it gave one when I had the air box off and the mass air flow was unplugged. and I don't know how it could be the coil if the coil is not even getting the signal to fire. I just keep hoping for something obvious that I am missing but at this point it's not looking that way, unfortunately.

thanks