S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

97 Blazer just stops running

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2007, 3:06 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 Blazer just stops running

My dad has a two door 97 Blazer (very low miles on it)that every once in awhile will just stop running. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside or how long it's been running.It's happened while parked, stopped and while driving. It's just as if you turned off the key, everything just stops running, but itwill start up right away when tried. No check engine light...nothing. His local garage has looked at it twice and can't find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or know what the cause might be? Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2007, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 97 Blazer just stops running

If this happens at idle or decel, I might suspect an idle air issue. Does this have the csfi fuel system, they are noted for idle problems. The fuel pressure is critical.

How long since it had a tune-up, had the filters replaced? It's hard to track down intermittent stuff. You have to do the testing when the problem is ongoing.
Old December 17th, 2007, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound really weird but i had a problem with a 91 or 92 caddy. It turned out being the Fuse for the EGR valve. for some reason it would randomally shut off. no matter when or how long it had been running. I threw all kinds of parts at it (tune up, all new filters, ECM, ect.) untill i finally noticed the blown fuse (which was way under the dash by the computer) The fuse would blow about every 6 months I never invesgated it any farther becuase i got it running and the guy sold the car.

you said it has very low milage. do you think there could be some rust in the gas tank/lines? This could cause a intermitten blockage which would be cured by turning the key off and back on again... Or even a problem with the fuel pump... It could be a short in the Ignition switch. if the wire telling the computer the ignition is all shorts out it could cause it to shut off like you turned the key... could be a bad spot on the ignition switch... Im really just guessing what it could be. Its really going to be a matter of hunting the problem down. There is no simple solution.
Old December 18th, 2007, 9:28 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure off hand what fuel system he has in it and I believe they did do a tune-up the first time he brought it in. The trouble is that it is very intermittent, but it actually has happened for his mechanic, but still no luck on a fix. I did read on another forum that this year has had trouble with the ignition switch, but like you guys say...no simple soluthion.Thanks for the different ideas though. Would you believe the trouble started soon as he started talking about trading it in! Must be a sign.