S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

98 s10, won't start.

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2009, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 s10, won't start.

This morning I got up, drove to my mom's house from my dad's, and when I left to go to school, 45 minutes later, my truck started making a screaching noise when I tried to start it, then when I tried again, it was silent and had no reaction. Later I tried to start it again, no luck, then my friend tried when i had the hood open and I could here a clicking on the fuse box under the hood, I don't know if that means anything or what..

My mom's boyfriend suggested the starter is loose, or died.

He' can't work on it until after I need to drive it, ha.

So.. if anyone else has any opinions on what the problem is, please share OR can you tell me where the starter is located and now to tighten it?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old September 2nd, 2009, 5:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Starter.
Try tightening the wires that attach to the starter, then if that doesn't work, the starter is probably broke.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Your first description sounds like a bad (stripped spot on the flywheel) or a bad/loose connection on the starter solinoid or relay. The second sound like a weak battery or battery terminal connection. I would check the battery connections. Then try a jump start. If it is a stick you could get it going down a grade or have a couple of able friend give you a push & pop the clutch to try and start it.The starter is underneath on the side of the motor and the connections are convoluted to get to. For a picture try going to Advance auto parts looking up the starter then clicking on the part diagram link. I also think there is a site connected with Wilipedia that you should be able to get a grasp of were the starter is and the difficulty level.
Old September 5th, 2009, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

The clicking noise under the Hood does sound like a dead battery. If it is the starter your in for a treat... When I changed mine I had to loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine a little to slide the old one out and the new one in.