S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

99 S-10 stalling

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2016, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 S-10 stalling

My 99 S-10 will stall & sputter at any time.Has new plugs,wires,Dist. cap & rotor button.
Anyone have any ideas of what is doing this & what to check next?
Number 1 O2 sensor code will come up also.Have replaced it twice.

Last edited by bodatiouskid; September 4th, 2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old November 11th, 2016, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

fuel filter
Old November 11th, 2016, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

possibly the fuel filter starving the fuel rails. but i can throw in the following that i had withmy o4 s10...where the coils go into the engine...bad boot covers with minute cracks caused the spark to ground out just before the spark plugs.. and caused the same effect. this could be the case with spark plug wires hitting to ground and arching. Bad gas and low fuel pressure with a dirty fuel filter could be a cause. Also a vacuum hose cracked and sucking too much air..or collapsing
in the intake can cause this same effect. I would suspect that if you go onto a rough road and drive a bit on it to see if your engine fails or stammers when hitting rough areas in the road are causing something to move from their alloted position and throwing something electrical to ground. . . this would be after the coil.
water in the gas tank..would do this same problem. you can add HEAT to the tank...this mixes the water with the fuel so it goes out of the engine..may take a few hours of driving to clear this out. Could be a bad spark plug.. you should pull each plug and see if it is buring oil or too much gas.. causing the plug to foul out for a moment or two.
I would say if you take it to a qualified mechanic they can put a computer reader on it and find your problem really quickly...this would save you time and money. Most auto parts stores will test your obd2 plug and read the computer codes eliminating your question as to what is wrong with your ve\hicle.
Kat