S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Bad alternator! Crazy symptoms!

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2021, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad alternator! Crazy symptoms!

Just an information post about a weird situation that happened to my 2001 S10.
I was heading out one morning to work and I noticed none of my instrument gauges were working. The truck cranked fine and was running fine except dash gauges were not. I decided to take it back home and park it because I didn’t really know what was wrong. A few days later, I cranked the truck and was trouble shooting the problem. Bear in mind the truck cranked fine, just no gauges working. While I was checking fuses and wiring, the truck went dead, like 12 volt power dead. It wouldn’t even jump off and crank. So I had a known good battery in another vehicle and I swapped it in. Still wouldn’t start. I had put a new alternator on a few weeks earlier, so I pulled it off and took to the parts store to have it tested. The alternator tested bad, so I got a replacement. Still not sure about the gauge problem, I installed the new alternator and charged the battery. Well crazy thing is the truck started and the alternator charging as it was supposed to and the gauge problem was corrected! I’ve never had a bad alternator affect dash gauges before! But that’s my story, I hope it helps someone!😃
Old July 11th, 2021, 5:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicmechanic17
Just an information post about a weird situation that happened to my 2001 S10.
I was heading out one morning to work and I noticed none of my instrument gauges were working. The truck cranked fine and was running fine except dash gauges were not. I decided to take it back home and park it because I didn’t really know what was wrong. A few days later, I cranked the truck and was trouble shooting the problem. Bear in mind the truck cranked fine, just no gauges working. While I was checking fuses and wiring, the truck went dead, like 12 volt power dead. It wouldn’t even jump off and crank. So I had a known good battery in another vehicle and I swapped it in. Still wouldn’t start. I had put a new alternator on a few weeks earlier, so I pulled it off and took to the parts store to have it tested. The alternator tested bad, so I got a replacement. Still not sure about the gauge problem, I installed the new alternator and charged the battery. Well crazy thing is the truck started and the alternator charging as it was supposed to and the gauge problem was corrected! I’ve never had a bad alternator affect dash gauges before! But that’s my story, I hope it helps someone!😃
That is very odd. I've never seen that either. If the battery has juice it ought to run the gauges, alternator or not.
Old July 16th, 2021, 5:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

these darn PCM/VCM operated vehicles leave many a shade tree mechanic scratchin his head...if those "brains" dont have full 12v power, they tend to go into "self-preservation" mode n start to shut down various systems thru-out your vehicle...I had a 2000 Chrysler 300M that had an alt. go on it while i was driving...the "brain" started shutin stuff down as the battery weaken'd-dash gages went bonkers, tranny started shiftin on its own, engine speeds would fluctuate, etc

Last edited by hogbiker; July 18th, 2021 at 5:56 AM.
Old July 16th, 2021, 8:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by hogbiker
these darn PCM/VCM operated vehicles leave many a shade tree mechanic scratchin his head...if those "brains" dont have full 12v power, they tend to go into "self-preservation" mode n start to shut down various systems thru-out your vehicle...
That is very true. I'm keeping my great 98 Chevy K-1500 until I pass on. It doesn't have all these new gadgets, that break down all too often. My 2015 Malibu has been a really nice car, but the electric trunk lid opens up on its own sometimes but only after driving at the start, not on a freeway, thankfully.