S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Blazer Lacks Power & Setting 3 DTCs - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blazer Lacks Power & Setting 3 DTCs - PLEASE HELP!

Ok, I have a 98 Chevy Blazer, 4x4, 4at, 4.3L (W), 181K miles. I have had 3 DTC's for over 2 years, and have had the truck in 2 shops, without correct diagnosis yet! The truck seems to lack power.. it has all the grunt, but almost seems that it's not getting proper fuel..
The DTCs are:
P0440 - EVAP System
P0452 - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit LOW Voltage
P0453 - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit HIGH Voltage
The fuel pressure was checked with key on, engine off, and was holding within spec. Then with the engine running, it was still within spec. Turned off the engine, remove key, and the system seems to be holding pressure! (left pressure gauge on for 45 minutes after turning off truck) Another shop recommended, and performed a 'smoke test' to check for evap leaks, with NO results. I have been running with these 3 codes for over 2 years.
Furthermore, I notice that when I fill up the tank, within 2-3 drive cycles, the CEL comes on. It will stay on, through continuous drive cycles, till around half tank (or just below).. then the CEL will go off.. It will stay off, until I fill the tank again. Once filled, within 2-3 drive cycles, it comes back on, and there is my vicious cycle!
Besides the normal homework and searching, I have searched THIS forum for 4 hours, and have read through MANY threads! I am still at a loss on this, and am hoping someone can help me! I am not a forum noob, by any means.. I actually admin a local 'all makes/all models' enthusiast forum, and am quite active on 2 others, regarding my Maxima. This Blazer is my daily driver, so it is important to me that I get her fixed right. Any help anyone can offer me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited by DJ420; October 9th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum! Nice ride too!

Lets see what the ASE & shop guys here have for input on this one.
Old October 9th, 2009, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks man! Yeah I love the truck, it's been really good to me besides this issue! I am obssessed with modifying rides, so I never stop doing things to it! lol Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.. it's killing me slowly!
Old October 9th, 2009, 1:50 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the fuel filter changed last? may not be the problem but you never know.
Old October 9th, 2009, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Last changed several months ago.. it didn't seem to make a difference, though.
Today for the first time, it also set a MAF Sensor Performance code.. not sure that it's related to the other problem though! Going to clean it and my K&N cone tonight, and then clear the DTCs. Also planning to do plugs (30k on them) & wires (10k on them) tomorrow. Just replaced distributor cap & rotor 2 weeks ago.