S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

bright /dim lights - fluctuating voltage

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2018, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bright /dim lights - fluctuating voltage

'94 s-10, 2.2 L, 4 cyl. Fuel injected.
Engine gets bad mileage. Headlights and instrument lights dim sporadically. Gauges, speedo, & tach occasionally slip to lower reading also sporadically but not always in sync w/ dim lights or each other. Both are worse when the headlights are on. I'm guessing it's a ground or volt regulator, (or something). Can someone suggest an isolation test procedure?
Old September 28th, 2018, 8:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, I'd say loose connection(s)
Old September 29th, 2018, 7:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck?test alternator at parts store?
Old September 30th, 2018, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not registered so I can't drive into town, it's also raining so I'm still considering what to do. kind of a relief to find the lights flicker, since I hadn't driven it at night. I suspect there probably are a couple of bad connections like kevinpk said. I'm suspicious of multiple problems doing the same thing though. maybe a bunch of terminal clips corroded while sitting outdoors for 5 yrs.

update 30 sept 4:00 found a piece of tinfoil stuffed in one of the fuse slots but according to the schematic on the cover that location (#5) isn't connected to anything. the volt meter shows better charging though (14 instead of 12). the fuse box might still have a ground fault, the tach needle wiggled only once when I drove it down the hill (that's an improvement).

Last edited by Mous; September 30th, 2018 at 6:05 PM.