S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

engine light wont go off!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine light wont go off!!!

Hey i posted earlier about replacing a computer in a 99 s10 and well the reason was cause the engine light would not go off and when i would try to get the codes pulled i would not receive any codes.

So i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what is the solution? i was told to replace the computer but ya im not sure. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old February 6th, 2010, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you using to scan the codes? Does not say no codes present or unable to communicate?
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

im doing this for a friend from my church so im not exactly sure on where they took it to get the codes pulled but ill find out.
Old March 10th, 2010, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine light

Did you find out what your problem was? My wife's 2000 S-10 is doing the same thing. I've got a Actron 9180 scanner, it light's up, but won't communicate with the computer. I'm stumped!
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Scan the vehicle, if there is no codes present, clear the codes. Crank it back up on the scanner and see if something pops up. (if your scanner is capable of doing this.)
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

May need to have the CPU flashed. Cost less than replacing it and in many cases now when u replace the CPU it still needs flashed
Old March 11th, 2010, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Scan the vehicle, if there is no codes present, clear the codes. Crank it back up on the scanner and see if something pops up. (if your scanner is capable of doing this.)

Yes it will do that, but that's the problem, it won't communicate with the computer, I can't clear the codes because it won't hook up, going to try and take it to Autozone and see if there's will communicate..... will let you know.
Old March 11th, 2010, 7:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull the headlight relay and fuses 4, 17, and 19 in the inside panel and then try it.
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

OK boy's, here's the skinny..... went to Autozone and had them scan the computer, there scanner worked, pulled up a code P0420 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold, bank 1 ) he said it could be a bad cat converter. Had it replaced a coulple of years ago. My wife's put E-85 in it sometimes, anybody think that might have clogged up the cat?
I guess my scanner is bad, go figure... it's brand new, 1st time I used this one, have to take it back to PepBoy's and get a different one.
Old March 13th, 2010, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

what kind of scanner do you own that read your codes?

I see to many kinds in the local autostores but no idea which one to read the codes on my 96 blazer

Quick Reply: engine light wont go off!!!