S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

ENGINE STALLING

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2006, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE STALLING

MY 1999 S-10, 4 CYL & 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION. STALLS WHEN GOING DOWN ROAD.
THIS WILL HAPPEN WHEN I EASE OFF THE GAS. IF I TURN IT OFF AND COAST, IT WILL RECRANK.
COULD IT BE THE OXGYEN SENSORS OR FUEL PUMP? HAVE CHANGED FUEL FILTER 3 TIMES.

ANY HELP ????? PLEASE.

WRT111
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: ENGINE STALLING

That shouldn't be a oxygen sensor. Have your fuel pressure checked. Do you push start it or crank it when you restart it?
It could also be something like a Throttle Positioning sensor. If your engine light is on take it to Auto-Zone or Advance Auto Parts and have them check the engine light. They will do it for free.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

MY TRUCK WILL CRANK AFTER IT IS TURNED OFF AN SIT FOR A FEW MINUTES.

AUTO ZONE TEST SAYS TO REPLACE BEFORE AND AFTER SENSORS AT CATLYTIC CONVERTER.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WRT111

MY TRUCK WILL CRANK AFTER IT IS TURNED OFF AN SIT FOR A FEW MINUTES.

AUTO ZONE TEST SAYS TO REPLACE BEFORE AND AFTER SENSORS AT CATLYTIC CONVERTER.
No it's not going to say replace the o2 sensors. It will say something like o2 sensor 1 or 2 low voltage or something like that. That doesn't always mean to replace the o2 sensors.
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Are you sure about that NCHEVYHEVN? Their are more codes for the o2 sensors than low and high voltage.
WRT111
Do you know what the trouble code was?
If it is your oxygen sensors doing this you may be able to let it idle until it is at normal opperating temp and it should stall. That is because the oxygen sensors don't immediately control any of your air fuel mixture, the computer uses other sensors and presets, once warmed up they will start to control the air/fuel. But if it will start and drive after a couple of minutes that dosen't seem likely. Dose it drive fine after it dies, or dose it die shortly after again?
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

I DO NOT KNOW THE CODE, THEY SAAID THEY NEEDED TOBE REPLACED.

I QUESS IT DEPENDS ON IT'S MOOD. SOMETIMES IT WILL DIE EVERY TIME I SLOW UP AND THEN OTHER TIMES IT WILL RUN FOR DAYS WITH OUT STALLIN OUT.

CAN NOT HAVE IT CHECKED, BECAUSE IT WILL BE RUNNING NORMAL MOST OF THE TIME. ONLY STALL WHEN EVERY ONE IS CLOSED.

THANX AGAIN

WRT111
Old August 25th, 2006, 6:22 PM
CF Senior Member

You can still check that if your engine light is or has been on. If you don't reset the computer on a 96 or newer GM they will keep the trouble code stored.
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: kcb37

Are you sure about that NCHEVYHEVN? Their are more codes for the o2 sensors than low and high voltage.
WRT111
Do you know what the trouble code was?
If it is your oxygen sensors doing this you may be able to let it idle until it is at normal opperating temp and it should stall. That is because the oxygen sensors don't immediately control any of your air fuel mixture, the computer uses other sensors and presets, once warmed up they will start to control the air/fuel. But if it will start and drive after a couple of minutes that dosen't seem likely. Dose it drive fine after it dies, or dose it die shortly after again?
I wasn't saying that's all they will say. All I was saying no code checker tells you what to replace. It just tells you the information. It's up to you to find out what the problem is and fix it.

Also to the poster of the thread please don't trust autozone people. I've worked in 3 of them myself and their are no real knowledge requirments to work there so most have no idea what they are talking about.
Old August 26th, 2006, 2:06 PM
CF Senior Member

NCHEVYHEVN
Some of the trouble codes will tell you what to replace, but most of those are the older cars.
Old August 27th, 2006, 4:13 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: kcb37

NCHEVYHEVN
Some of the trouble codes will tell you what to replace, but most of those are the older cars.
Uh no they don't. Computers on cars don't tell you have to fix them. They just tell you the information and it's up to you to figure out what needs to be replaced and what doesn't based on the info.

Quick Reply: ENGINE STALLING