S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Failing Inspection Please Help

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2008, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing Inspection Please Help

1997 Chevy S-10. I keep failing for my OBD Emissions. The readiness Status for just about everything, Cats, Ox sensors, EGR, Evap. The guy at inspection told me its not that there is anything wrong with those systems just that the computer is not reading them. i had the comp put on a machine at my local mechanic and everything came up fine. Went back to inspection and they all came up again, this time they told me there is nothing they can do as long as it comes up they cant pass me. Please anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong.

Thanks
Old March 9th, 2008, 9:45 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Failing Inspection Please Help

I don't know if it is the same the the u.s. but in ontario we check specific gases coming out of the tail pipe....HydroCarbons(HC), Oxides of Nitrogen(NOx), and Carbon Monoxide(CO)
which gas did your vehicle fail on?
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Is the vehicle throwing these codes, I guess what I am asking is how do the inspection mechanics know that those systems are acting up? I live in PA and the emissions testing consists of testing the exhuast, they don't care wheather or not there is something wrong (throwing codes) with your vehicleunless it doesn't pass theemiisions test.
Old March 10th, 2008, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

in jersey the also plug the truck computer in and read all the codes it is showing. it sucks
Old March 10th, 2008, 3:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am a state inspectore here in texas and its the same way. we have to plug into the car first and check the readiness status of all the emissions systems before we do the 5 gas test. the only reason they ever show they are not ready is because there was a code that had been cleared so it will show its not ready. but if there are no codes i dont know why it would be showing that its not ready if there were no codes that were cleared
Old March 11th, 2008, 8:50 PM
Banned

Correct me if i'm wrong here someone, but i think to get the readiness status of these systems to show ready is to go through a specific drive cycle?....I don't remember exactly what it is or if i'm totally out to lunch but i do rememebr something about this
Old March 15th, 2008, 9:29 AM
Banned

Just found this little chart that confirms my suspician....

System Status and Drive Cycle For Satisfying the Federal Inspection/Maintenance (I/M 240) Regulations

The system status selection is included in the scan tool System Info menu.
Several states require that the I/M 240 (OBD ll system) pass on-board tests for the major diagnostics prior to having a vehicle emission inspection. This is also a requirement to renew license plates in some areas.
Using a scan tool, the technician can observe the system status, complete or not complete, in order to verify that the vehicle meets the criteria which complies with local area requirements. Using the system status display, any of the following systems or a combination of the systems may be monitored for I/M readiness:[align=left]•
The catalyst[/align][align=left]•
The HO2S[/align][align=left]•
The HO2S heater[/align]
Important:The system status display indicates only whether or not the test has been completed. The system status display does not necessarily mean that the test has passed. If a Failed Last Test indication is present for a DTC associated with one of the above systems, that test is failed. Diagnosis and repair is necessary in order to meet the I/M 240 requirement. Verify that the vehicle passes all of the diagnostic tests associated with the displayed system status prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Refer to the Typical OBD II Drive Cycle table to use as a guide to complete the I/M 240 system status tests. More than one drive cycle may be needed.
Following a DTC info clear, the system status will clear only for the systems affected by any DTCs stored. Following a battery disconnect or a control module replacement, all of the system status information will clear.

Typical OBD II Drive Cycle

Diagnostic Time Schedule for I/M Readiness

Vehicle Drive Status What is Monitored?

Cold Start, coolant temperature less than 50°C (122°F) --

Idle 2.5 minutes in Drive (Auto) Neutral (Man), A/C HO2S Heater, Misfire, Secondary Air, Fuel Trim, EVAP Purge
and rear defogger ON

A/C off, accelerate to 90km/h (55mph), 1/2 throttle. Misfire, Fuel Trim, Purge

3 minutes of Steady State - Cruise at 90km/h (55mph) Misfire, EGR, Secondary Air, Fuel Trim, HO2S, EVAP Purge

Clutch engaged (Man), no braking, decelerate to 32km/h (20mph) EGR, Fuel Trim, EVAP Purge

Accelerate to 90-97km/h (55-60mph), 3/4 throttle Misfire, Fuel Trim, EVAP Purge

5 minutes of Steady State Cruise at 90-97km/h (55-60mph) Catalyst Monitor, Misfire, EGR, Fuel Trim, HO2S, EVAP Purge

Decelerate, no breaking. End of Drive Cycle EGR, EVAP Purge

Total time of OBD II Drive Cycle 12 minutes
Old March 17th, 2008, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Try going to the junk yard and see if they have a good condition cat, and other parts. Put them on and try again. I had a friend who would take his cat off till inspection and then replace it again. I know he sucks but he did pass every time, it did take some work to do this once a year.
Old June 28th, 2011, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Shawn : thanks for your input on this site. i just found this post while looking for answers to my problem. my 2000 Monte Carlo has identical symptoms and needs to have the drive cycle completed. my code reader showed no codes, but does not include the system status feature for complete or not ready [i guess the cheaper ones don't].
believe my problem is from the battery being disconnected and just hooked up yesterday before insp. today. will try the drive cycle tomorrow and go back for insp.
thanks again -- rick in NC !!!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Complete Newb here-

I am currently having this same issue with my 98 blazer. I got p0420 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
Also, the heat and air are both out, so will the drive test work? I think I may be misunderstanding the post. Thanks so much if anybody can shed some light on the subject for me! I need all the help I can get. PS, apologies if I put this in the wrong thread, I'm new here- obviously.... smdh

Quick Reply: Failing Inspection Please Help