S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Fuel pump relay gone crazy!! 911

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel pump relay gone crazy!! 911

I am going to keep it simple becuase I have left lenghty posts in other forums and have not had much luck. I have a 96 blazer with 160k on it. Recently, when I started up my truck and drove it, I would hear the fuel pump relay in the glove box start clicking while I accelerated. Now its at the point where Ill start then truck up and idle fine, then once the throttle moves the relay will start clicking like machine gun, the engine will run sluggish (seems as if its running rich), and then stall. I can not even drive the truck anymore, I have also replaced the relay... The paragraph below is something I posted on another forum maybe it will help!.....

I am a die hard chevy fan and I have just recently bought a 96 blazer with high mileage for 800 bucks. The previous owner said that the fuel pump was recently replaced and the fuel level gauge was actually stuck on half full. The other day when I was driving the vehicle I heard a loud clicking noise comming from the fuel pump relay under the dash, it was only clicking during acceleration and the engine was also surging/bucking during acceleration. During operation this does not happen when I was at a steady speed only during acceleration the engine would start "bucking" and the relay would start clicking like a machine gun, I also noticed that the fuel gauge went from stuck on half to stuck on past full. After driving the vehicle back home i attempted to park it and it idles up even with my foot off the accelerator, and now it will only start up with the relay clicking the whole time, idle up and down, then it will stall out. I replaced the relay and checked for any loose connections and I am still having the same problem. Right before this started to happen I also ran over a small curb but it didn't do any physical damage to the truck besides the fact that it stalled out and tranny fluid started leaking out by the tranny dip stick, not sure where though and if it is related to this problem because the relay didn't start acting up until after I parked the truck and started looking for this "leak" I had in. The engine compartment. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing but I tried to explain it as thouroughly as possble. I am young and I need this truck for school and work and I also have some automotive education. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, these codes popped up after I checked the computer with a scanner for the first time..

po138 - bank 1 sensor 2
po144 - bank 1 sensor 3
po151 - bank 2 sensor 1
po174 - system 2 lean bank 2
po330 - miss fire/random mult
p1153 - manufact. control fuel & air metering
p1406 - manufact. control auxilary emission controls
p1870 - manufact. control trans.
po174 - system 2 lean bank 2

<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->